PDA

View Full Version : House paint on car

SATracker
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
My mother in law's car (no jokes, we have a great relationship) is a 1980 something Olds 98. On the lower body is some kind of trim moulding and she somehow got house paint on it. I got the paint off of her side mirror with a little paint thinner but the lower moulding is problematic. Thoughts on removing the paint, then maybe a mother in law joke?

Pyrocite
11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
If its an overspray (fine mist like paint) you can use clay bar to take it out. Believe me its not 10 min job but very safe and effective. :) Follow instructions of the clay bar if using for the first time.

ScottB
11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
3M Wax and Adhesive Remover or Prepsol would likely work if fresh.

charliehaley
11-03-2008, 10:55 PM
If its latex paint you might try a product called krud kutter I used to work at a paint store and it works wonders on latex and fresh oil based paint.

Jimmie
11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Graffetti Remover for painted surfaces. It's a product that I haven't used but heard from others that have so a little more research is in order. As far as where to get it I saw a can at our local OSH.

txscbr600
11-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I have the same problem not sure if it is latex looks like something that has been run over and splattered one side of the car. finally getting to a full detail after a month. The previous owner or the dealer i got it from was mean to the paint thats for sure. I was claying taking forever and went to wal mart to get some more Megs QD and picked up some goo gone extreme. It is working great i didnt take and pics before i clayed but i have one more bad area that i need to do so i will snap a pic and post later tonight when i am done.

txscbr600
11-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Figured i would post since it may be late before i get done.

Some before and after shots not perfect but it was time to take a little break,

The third photo was like that all the way down the side.

HighEndDetail
11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Graffetti Remover for painted surfaces. It's a product that I haven't used but heard from others that have so a little more research is in order. As far as where to get it I saw a can at our local OSH.

I think that will also remove the car's paint also.. I can not remember what the caution said on the can

builthatch
11-12-2008, 01:01 AM
i'm assuming some youths went around and were throwing paint cans out of the windows onto the road, so unsuspecting victims would drive through the paint spill? you sure it's not road line paint? i've used wd-40 to remove such paint, but not dried latex paint.

piaz
11-23-2008, 12:34 PM
I used steam from an iron with a wet towel...worked perfectly on Latex, was able to peel it off completely but it left a yellowish residue on the clear coat, will try some rubbing compound and see if that works but the paint is gone. (was on the entire right side doors and fender)