PDA

View Full Version : jeweling vs burnishing

Pages : [1] 2

sqeekykleen
11-02-2008, 08:33 PM
What is the difference between jeweling the paint and burnishing the paint? Is it the same thing just a different name? What product / pad is used for this step? Thanks for the helpFeed back please

ScottB
11-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I used the term jeweling for several years after seeing my wifes diamond ring polished at a jeweler. They do a final polishing that really amps the finish and found a similar thing existed in car care when using a final polish and finishing pad after the paint already looks great. I believe burnishing is just another term to say the same thing and really is bringing the gloss level and reflectivness of paint up an additional notch with high speed final or finish polishing.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-02-2008, 10:24 PM
They are the samething, you use the blue pad with a finishing polish for your burnishing.

ZXERT
11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
If I have 4in green pads, a 6.5 inch white, orange, and 2 6.5 inch black pads. I have Pinnacle XMT #1 finishing polish. Should I use white pad with XMT#1 or black with XMT#1 as my last step/burnish?

Rsurfer
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Use the black with XMT1 for final polish. A 5.5" pad would work much better. The pc seems to bog down with the larger 6.5" pads.

ZoranC
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Burnishing and jeweling are synonyms when it comes to automotive paint polishing.

P.S. You will see some high visibility detailers on big forums, like Autopia, try to incorrectly claim the credit for introduction of these two terms in recent time. However, at least one of them has been around for decades and quick search shows the other has been used around for at least 6 years in automotive industry, and in other industries longer than that.

blk45
11-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Burnishing and jeweling are synonyms when it comes to automotive paint polishing.

P.S. You will see some high visibility detailers on big forums, like Autopia, try to incorrectly claim the credit for introduction of these two terms in recent time. However, at least one of them has been around for decades and quick search shows the other has been used around for at least 6 years in automotive industry, and in other industries longer than that.

Well, one of those "high visibility detailers" does not take credit for the terms and states that they have been around for a while. He acknowledges the fact that others have used the terms for paint polishing before. He did start using it to describe paint polishing (in his write ups) and therefore "introduced" them to the detailing forums, but still doesn't try to take credit for "inventing or creating" them. Unlike some others that I know.

ZoranC
11-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Well, one of those "high visibility detailers" does not take credit for the terms and states that they have been around for a while. He acknowledges the fact that others have used the terms for paint polishing before. He did start using it to describe paint polishing (in his write ups) and therefore "introduced" them to the detailing forums, but still doesn't try to take credit for "inventing or creating" them. Unlike some others that I know.
Please re-read my post and noticed I too used word "introduction" and not "inventing or creating".

After that please search archives of those same detailing forums that have been recently "introduced to these terms" and you will find these terms have been used by _many others_ in those _same_ forums _at least several years_ before recent claims of "introduction".

Thus claim of introduction of the terms to the detailing forums is not valid, is it?

Bunky
11-09-2008, 07:14 PM
For jeweling, what is the best technique in terms of pressure, arm speed, pc speed? For example: Light pressure, slow arm speed, speed 5, (black pad or blue pad)?

AUdakota
11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I use very light pressure, slow arm speed and high pad speed.

TOGWT
11-10-2008, 07:29 AM
I use very light pressure, slow arm speed and high pad speed.

:iagree: Using an LC CCS Gold Ultrasoft pad (or any similar 'soft' pad) helps

blk45
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Please re-read my post and noticed I too used word "introduction" and not "inventing or creating".

After that please search archives of those same detailing forums that have been recently "introduced to these terms" and you will find these terms have been used by _many others_ in those _same_ forums _at least several years_ before recent claims of "introduction".

Thus claim of introduction of the terms to the detailing forums is not valid, is it?

I misspoke. Introduction was never claimed.

It sounded good, so on my click and brags I started using the term "jewelling" to describe the step after finishing (which again was done with mechanical pads at the time on this forum and others). Obviously I am not the first one to use the term jewelling (body shop used it in the 1950's) and I am sure some other detailers have used it before, but until I started posting on about it in my click and brags, nobody was using it with any regularity.

That is what was said.

ZoranC
11-10-2008, 09:29 PM
That is what was said.
Problem with quoting, especially with quoting very small part of big post/thread that is somewhere else, is that things get uneven focus, spotlight can be brought to what one wants seen and everything else that is not wanted to be seen gets pushed into background darkness.

Nature of human interaction / communication requires that things are put in context of whole presentation in order to interpret them correctly as that is exactly how message was sent.

Thus I suggest people should be forming their own opinion on what was exactly _communicated_ by reading referrenced post in entirety at it's original source, not based on short excerpts somewhere else.

Especially becuase this too was said:

"As far as the term burnish, Rydawg and I kind of came up this that. We had both started calling it 'jewelling' long before I posted about it and when nobody on the forum used that term. When I started using it, I noticed it popping up more and more, and people finishing with non-mechanical pads more and more. Everybody called it jewelling, which we thought was a riot. So I told Ryan and I am going switch gears and start calling it burnishing, to see if this term would catch on too. So I did, and sure enough it started creeping it's ways in."

Notice the words "when nobody on the forum used that term"? _That_ term has been used on _that_ forum for years prior to that by _others_. Simple search shows that easily. Term "burnishing" has long history in Europe. I have not seen OP starting to use that term until I saw him start visiting European forums. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Never mind the fact that how whole message was sent out, the attitude exuding from it, talks as if there is some trendsetting to claim credit for, while facts are different (please see above) and show how preposterous that is.

I think this is where I will close my case as I don't want thread hijacked into non-productive discussion, there is enough info by now for those that are interested to educate themselves with actual facts.

ScottB
11-11-2008, 07:13 AM
This post has gone off topic and seems amiss , why are we challenging each other ?? Its a phrase most of us have used and some like myself have offered when I started using it and why for the posters understanding. I dont believe anyone wants credit for the term and we need to focus more on the topics versus the individuals posting in my opinion. If anyone helped move the term forward or made it more mainstream currently that a thumb to them, but it wont change the world in some knowing the term has/will be used for years.

Can anyone add something to burnishing versus jeweling or should this post just be closed ???

TOGWT
11-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Finishing - by using a lightly abrasive pad and a finishing polish, helps refine the paint, removing any trace damage from the polishing stage.

Burnishing - an optional step after finishing, done with a non-abrasive ultra soft pad and an ultra fine finishing polish. For the removal of any microscopic pad abrasion, which also reduces the chance of holograms and may increase the gloss of the paint further
Surface Inspection - always carry out an isopropyl alcohol (IPA) wipe down after compounding or polishing to ensure a blemish free paint surface and to ensure there