ss-truck
11-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Which gives better results Menz Top Inspection or IPA wipedown

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Prep-Sol

supercharged
11-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Menzerna might give you better results, but for $25 a 16oz bottle I'd rather use 50/50 water/alcohol mix.

ss-truck
11-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys thats kinda what I was thinking . Got to look at the simple economics of the product .

Waxmax
11-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Menzerna Top Inspection description says it can be used to remove polish residue/fillers so you can inspect your paint (a la an IPA mix) AND it can be used as a QD? This puzzles me. If it is comparable to an IPA wipe down, wouldn't it remove some of your LSP if used as a QD?

TOGWT
11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Menzerna Top Inspection description says it can be used to remove polish residue/fillers so you can inspect your paint (a la an IPA mix) AND it can be used as a QD? This puzzles me. If it is comparable to an IPA wipe down, wouldn't it remove some of your LSP if used as a QD?

Reading this description I can undestand the confusion- "Here in the US, this mist-and-wipe spray would be classified as a quick detail spray. While Menzerna Top Inspection will remove fingerprints, smudges, dust and dirt, it will not add any gloss. Top Inspection does not contain any silicones or gloss polymers.

In Europe, Menzerna Top Inspection is classified as a polishing-aid. It's used by body shops, paint shops and at automotive assembly plants to remove compound and polish dust and residues"

Logic dicates that if it can remove oils, wax, etc from a paint surface then how can it be used as a quick detailer?

kopimon
11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Menzerna might give you better results, but for $25 a 16oz bottle I'd rather use 50/50 water/alcohol mix.

What does this do for you?

Waxmax
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Like was said, it removes polish residue and fillers.

kopimon
11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Like was said, it removes polish residue and fillers.

So you would do it after polishing and before sealing?

alowe
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
So you would do it after polishing and before sealing?

Yes. After I did an IPA wipedown, and removed leftover oils, I noticed a few patchy scratches that the oil had hidden. It will show any leftover imperfections that may need attending to.

A

TOGWT
11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Wipe-down after Polishing/ Compounding:

This allows you to inspect the surface to determine if the surface is defect free or if further work is required. When polishing or compounding to remove fine swirls or holograms, it's easy for residues to settle in the swirls, hiding the true paint finish. Wiping the finish with a Micro fibre cloth you may feel that the swirls have been removed, only to have them reappear when applying the final wax or sealant. After polishing a section, mist and wipe to fully remove residues and reveal the true paint finish.

1.Polymer sealants - will not form a proper monocular bond with a paint surface if there are any oils present and it will affect durability.

2.Silicone will cause surface smearing and will affect durability

a) Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) - fill a fine misting spray bottle with a 8:1 ratio of Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) / distilled water solution spray the paint surface, leave it to dwell for 30-45 seconds, agitate before wiping the paint surface with a clean, dry 100% cotton towel

b) Menzerna Top Inspection (PP95) – use to inspect your work, use this water-based cleaner that removes dust left by compounding and any lubricating oils so you can see the real results of your work. There are no silicones or fillers, just gentle cleaning agents to uncover the real condition of your vehicle’s paint.

c) Hi-Temp's Prep Wash - to prepare a paint surface for polishing, compounding, wax and / or polymer sealant application (especially if changing from a wax to a polymer product) this is a water-based paint cleaner designed to remove all traces of silicone, oil, and buffing residue from any exterior paint surface

d) DuPont PrepSol II™ - [url]http://www spray onto a 100% cotton or a micro fibre towel and clean the surface

For more information see the “Polishing” article on ############# website; a series of informative, knowledge based, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing

kopimon
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
If I use DG501 as a finishing polish, the alcohol would remove it, right?