PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my g35 this weekend...

ZXERT
10-31-2008, 01:27 PM
So I'm planning to do a full detail on my g35 this weekend atleast on the exterior.

I ordered a PC7424 and the Pinnacle XMT Intermediate swirl remover kit. Additionally I have a few other products I can go to.

I spent a few hours the other day with a drawing pad making diagrams of all the issues with the paint I can see. For the most part its predominantly medium to heavy water etching on all horizontal surfaces. There are medium to light swirls on all panels, around 20 or so smaller polishable rids, 1 or 2 primer deep rids, and the illustrious "***" thats written on top of my trunk lid. My cousin wrote "***" with his finger not knowing it would mar my paint(If he wasn't my cousin he would've ate a knuckle sandwich).

Heres how my plan goes...

-Wash with dawn to remove all wax
-Clay with Megs White(also have Z-18 and Mothers California gold clay) and QD as lube
-50/50 isa wipedown/ Or another Dawn wash
-Test panel of XMT #1 Fine Swirl Remover polish with PC7424 on LC white pad(lightest cut first)
-I may switch to XMT #3 if the cut isn't deep enough(also have orange and green LC pads)
-50/50 wipe down with a final look over
-XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze

After glazing is where I'm stuck at. I didn't order any decent wax or sealant. Heres a list of what I've got.

Zaino Z-2
Megs Carnauba paste wax
Megs Carnauba liquid wax
Mothers Carnauba liquid wax

My car is Twilight Blue which has a bunch of beautiful metal flake in it. From what I've read Carnauba wax will only mask the brightness of the flake while darkening the paint. So my gut tells me to do 2 layers of Z-2 with 24hrs in between. Sadly I have no ZFX on hand to help cure faster.

Also I'll be re-finishing my driver side rear wheel entirely. I curbed it 360deg around in a taco bell drive through. My plan is to go for Duplicolor wheel paint wet sanding between every coat with 3 or 4 coats of clear.

One quick question as well, I don't have anything short of armor all to dress my wheel wells with. Does anyone know of a good OTC dressing I can pick up? Around here I've got Kragen, Autozone, PepBoys, Walmart, and I think thats it. Any help/critiques are appreciated.

I'll be providing a full detail write up with before and afters in the S&S section. My first of many. Thanks guys.

richy
10-31-2008, 01:58 PM
So I'm planning to do a full detail on my g35 this weekend atleast on the exterior.

I ordered a PC7424 and the Pinnacle XMT Intermediate swirl remover kit. Additionally I have a few other products I can go to.

I spent a few hours the other day with a drawing pad making diagrams of all the issues with the paint I can see. For the most part its predominantly medium to heavy water etching on all horizontal surfaces. There are medium to light swirls on all panels, around 20 or so smaller polishable rids, 1 or 2 primer deep rids, and the illustrious "***" thats written on top of my trunk lid. My cousin wrote "***" with his finger not knowing it would mar my paint(If he wasn't my cousin he would've ate a knuckle sandwich).

Heres how my plan goes...

-Wash with dawn to remove all wax
-Clay with Megs White(also have Z-18 and Mothers California gold clay) and QD as lube
-50/50 isa wipedown/ Or another Dawn wash Not needed at this stage.
-Test panel of XMT #1 Fine Swirl Remover polish with PC7424 on LC white pad(lightest cut first)
-I may switch to XMT #3 if the cut isn't deep enough(also have orange and green LC pads)
-50/50 wipe down with a final look over
-XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze

After glazing is where I'm stuck at. I didn't order any decent wax or sealant. Heres a list of what I've got.

Zaino Z-2
Megs Carnauba paste wax
Megs Carnauba liquid wax
Mothers Carnauba liquid wax

My car is Twilight Blue which has a bunch of beautiful metal flake in it. From what I've read Carnauba wax will only mask the brightness of the flake while darkening the paint. So my gut tells me to do 2 layers of Z-2 with 24hrs in between. Sadly I have no ZFX on hand to help cure faster.

Also I'll be re-finishing my driver side rear wheel entirely. I curbed it 360deg around in a taco bell drive through. My plan is to go for Duplicolor wheel paint wet sanding between every coat with 3 or 4 coats of clear.

One quick question as well, I don't have anything short of armor all to dress my wheel wells with. Does anyone know of a good OTC dressing I can pick up? Around here I've got Kragen, Autozone, PepBoys, Walmart, and I think thats it. Any help/critiques are appreciated.

I'll be providing a full detail write up with before and afters in the S&S section. My first of many. Thanks guys.

It would help to know where you're from so we can advise whether a sealant or wax would be sufficient. The glaze is optional and not really needed going into the winter..I'd be more concerned with protection than glaze at this time of the year (at least here in Canada). Some waxes mute flakes, others don't. I THINK (I've never used it but remember reading about it) that liquid Soveran is great for flakes. Others more familiar with carnubas will chime in I'm sure..me I use Duragloss and love it for both the protection as well as looks. The cheapest and easiest solution to the wheel wells is simply OTC tire spray..does a fine job. Take lots of pics..we're all picture whores here!!

robb01
10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Can't wait to see pics, I love the body style of the G35

ZXERT
10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
From Sacramento, CA. I park my car in my garage, drive it to work(9miles) and park in a parking structure. I drive it straight home and park in the garage.

I promise to be a gigantic picture #####. I should have the writeup done Monday mid-day.

Thanks for the replies.

Pyrocite
10-31-2008, 03:16 PM
100+ pictures please :) at least on photobucket (or somewhere). With 5-10 on AG
:cheers:

ZXERT
10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
I will definately take a large amount of pictures, but my only issue is that today there is no sun. I always prefer sun shots to halogens, or a combo of both, but today it doesn't look like thats happening.

I do think you will be surprised at the terrible condition of my paint though.

Pyrocite
10-31-2008, 04:27 PM
I cant wait, im about to take pics of my blue accord HORRIBLE swirls :( and after shots of course :)

loudog2
10-31-2008, 06:42 PM
What year do you have? I just bought a 2008 G35X in platinum graphite a couple months ago. Detailed it a couple weeks ago. I used some 106FA w/a LC white pad. Then burnished it with some 85RD on a blue LC pad. Applied 2 coats of Wolfgang DGPS and 2 coats of souveran paste.

SSII and P21s 100% are great on metallic. I don't know much about zaino. As for OTC tire dressing. Don't use armorall. I use wolfgangs black diamond tire get. It actually conditions the rubber, and lasts a long time. The pinnicle formula does the same. These are both bought online.

If you use a more aggressive polish. You will need a finishing polish to remove any marring(also dependent on the pad you use).

Wendell Jarvis
10-31-2008, 06:50 PM
It would help to know where you're from so we can advise whether a sealant or wax would be sufficient. The glaze is optional and not really needed going into the winter..I'd be more concerned with protection than glaze at this time of the year (at least here in Canada). Some waxes mute flakes, others don't. I THINK (I've never used it but remember reading about it) that liquid Soveran is great for flakes. Others more familiar with carnubas will chime in I'm sure..me I use Duragloss and love it for both the protection as well as looks. The cheapest and easiest solution to the wheel wells is simply OTC tire spray..does a fine job. Take lots of pics..we're all picture whores here!!

:whs:

Wendell Jarvis
10-31-2008, 06:53 PM
What year do you have? I just bought a 2008 G35X in platinum graphite a couple months ago. Detailed it a couple weeks ago. I used some 106FA w/a LC white pad. Then burnished it with some 85RD on a blue LC pad. Applied 2 coats of Wolfgang DGPS and 2 coats of souveran paste.

SSII and P21s 100% are great on metallic. I don't know much about zaino. As for OTC tire dressing. Don't use armorall. I use wolfgangs black diamond tire get. It actually conditions the rubber, and lasts a long time. The pinnicle formula does the same. These are both bought online.

If you use a more aggressive polish. You will need a finishing polish to remove any marring(also dependent on the pad you use).
Ooooo Louddog2, you said the "A" word.........Armorall....thats a bad word here........lol.......just messin with ya......that stuff is like crack....its bad for you !!

Emile
10-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Eh, my black G35 gets hairline scratches and swirls if I look at it the wrong way. Zaino highlights these clear-coat defects. If you are going to do all that paint correction, maybe consider investing in a nice carnauba wax from AG and using the Mothers wax you currently have on-hand in the meantime. And this recommendation is coming from a Zaino freak.

ZXERT
10-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Gotcha. I'll look into a higher quality wax while using mothers for now.

Emile
11-01-2008, 12:00 PM
It doesn't have to be an expensive wax to be good. But pretty much anything Autogeek sells is better than most of the over-the-counter products. If an OTC product is any good, Autogeek carries and sells it anyways.

As for an OTC tire dressing, I highly recommend Black Magic Titanium Tire Wet Gel. It is the most expensive OTC tire dressing but is by far the glossiest and most durable tire dressing I have ever used and is the only tire dressing I currently use on my vehicles. If you don't want insane tire shine, then go for something like the Black Magic Titanium Matte Tire Finish which offers similar durability without a look that screams "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME !!!!!!!!!!!!"