PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for having me...need advice on black Acura RL

Pages : [1] 2

flyfishindawg
10-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome to the community. I am here hoping to learn more about how to properly detail and maintain a DD Nighthawk Black Pearl 2005 Acura RL. As many of you know, black cars are like a beautiful woman; stunning, seductive, and mesmerizing, but ultimately a lot of maintenance to keep that way (no offense to the female aficianados on the board!)!

Tomorrow, I am ordering a Meguiars G110 with the Pinnacle twins kit. I intend (for now) to finish the process off with One Grand Blitz because I already have some.

From the more experienced members, does this seem like a good plan to start?

Donald Greco
10-31-2008, 04:33 AM
I also have a black car and the G110 with the Twins. Not sure what the blitz is but IMO you're off to a very good start. I use XMT 360 topped with liquid Souveran. Makes my baby shine

supercharged
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome to the community. I am here hoping to learn more about how to properly detail and maintain a DD Nighthawk Black Pearl 2005 Acura RL. As many of you know, black cars are like a beautiful woman; stunning, seductive, and mesmerizing, but ultimately a lot of maintenance to keep that way (no offense to the female aficianados on the board!)!

Tomorrow, I am ordering a Meguiars G110 with the Pinnacle twins kit. I intend (for now) to finish the process off with One Grand Blitz because I already have some.

Welcome! As an owner of 2005 RL (desert mist in this case) I would NOT recommend getting G110. Meguiars simply overprice their polishers, simply charging almost twice of what 7424 costs...Instead get Flex DA polisher, you won't regret it.
7424/G110 will polish your hands more then they polish your paint. And to top that off those machines literally dehydrate you, so when working outside, and not staying hydrated, you might get sick (been there twice already)...
So, my fellow 05 RL owner, Flex will be your best bet, unless you are considring a rotary...

wytstang
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
:whs: Blitz is a fine wax that doesn't really add to the paint (like Megs #16). If you want a deeper wet look maybe adding a glaze before you wax. Everything else in your plan of attack looks fine. Happy detailing.

flyfishindawg
10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks, folks. I really do appreciate the advice. As much as I would like the Flex, it would pretty much blow the present budget. I went ahead and ordered the Meguiars with the P-Twins as well as the PB Black Hole glaze. Hopefully, this will do the trick; at the least, it will ramp things up a notch.

Wendell Jarvis
10-31-2008, 07:02 PM

Post some pics when you are finished, I love the RL series from Acura.......extremely stylish and classy looking !!

Streetlife
11-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I just detailed my 1998 Acura CL3.0, I topped it with One Grand Blitz wax, but like wytstang said use a glaze. I used the One Grand Special Touch and the One Grand Omega glaze, also used Poorboys' EX. I'll be doing some light scratch and swirl removal in the spring, i just wanted my girl protected for the winter. I have other waxes though, Poorboys Natty's red and blue, SCG Barrier Reef, and clearkote CMW. To be honest, i'm very happy with my whole arsenal. Sorry no pics, haven't picked up a digital camera yet.:D

Streetlife
11-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I forgot to mention, make sure you tape off all of your trim with 3m tape. One Grand Blitz does stain trim.:cheers:

ScottB
11-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Welcome ... it sounds like a nice combo and would love to see final pics. Remember to watch the polish videos (it doesnt matter the machine its more the process) and get ready to take your beauty to the next level.

flyfishindawg
11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
After reading your posts about trim staining, I called back and ordered a jar of the DP Max Wax. I'm running the wife and kids out of town and will be working on the RL this weekend. If I run into problems, I may re-visit you guys. Thanks!

RaskyR1
11-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Congrats on the purchase of the G110! :cheers: It's a must IMO with a black car.

My wife to be has the same car and color. Nighthawk black pearl is an amazing color all cleaned up, especially on an RL. ;)

We bought hers used and I did a quick detail on it the night she picked it up...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/tsx/Labor_Day08028.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/tsx/Labor_Day08030.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/tsx/Labor_Day08032.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/tsx/Labor_Day08031.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/tsx/Labor_Day08033.jpg

flyfishindawg
11-08-2008, 06:47 PM
OK guys, I have spent today working on the car. I must say that the results are mixed at this point. For the most part, the car looks pretty good (I'm about half-way through) but there is one thing that is annoying me; that is, now that I have worked on the hood, all of the pit marks from road debris are showing up big time. I have used both the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover followed by the Advanced Finishing Polish. Before I give up on the hood, what should I do? Do I maybe need to go more aggressive with the compound? I only have orange pads to work with.

supercharged
11-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I really love these RLs. I wish they would improve a little on quality though... in 3 years my car seen a dealer 10 times already for warranty work, no recalls, or service, but warranty repairs...are you guys having better situation then me???

Jimmie
11-08-2008, 11:40 PM
OK guys, I have spent today working on the car. I must say that the results are mixed at this point. For the most part, the car looks pretty good (I'm about half-way through) but there is one thing that is annoying me; that is, now that I have worked on the hood, all of the pit marks from road debris are showing up big time. I have used both the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover followed by the Advanced Finishing Polish. Before I give up on the hood, what should I do? Do I maybe need to go more aggressive with the compound? I only have orange pads to work with.
No, not necessarily more aggressive. If you can catch the edge of those pits with your fingernail then you won't get them out without abrading too much clear coat. My experience is they show up more when there is a little residue trapped around the edges, especially on black. Try a paint cleaner or a 50/50 h2o/alcohol wipe down after you polish and see if they are less noticeable.

flyfishindawg
11-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Welcome! As an owner of 2005 RL (desert mist in this case) I would NOT recommend getting G110. Meguiars simply overprice their polishers, simply charging almost twice of what 7424 costs...Instead get Flex DA polisher, you won't regret it.
7424/G110 will polish your hands more then they polish your paint. And to top that off those machines literally dehydrate you, so when working outside, and not staying hydrated, you might get sick (been there twice already)...
So, my fellow 05 RL owner, Flex will be your best bet, unless you are considring a rotary...

:whs:

Well, they say that the best experience is paid for experience! I wish I would have saved the money (and my hands!) and gone with the FLEX like you said. I am already plotting to sell the G110 and put the money toward the real deal. Please understand, the G110 is a great machine for what it does; however, for the results I want, I need a better tool.

You tried to tell me.........