PDA

View Full Version : Learning to detail

Pages : [1] 2

SATracker
10-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Looking around I see that Meguiar's offers a variety of detailing classes and there's a place in San Diego that offers classes... in general, are these places worth the $1,000 or $1600?
I know there are videos available online, I know you can buy DVDs, but it seems that a professional looking over your shoulder is better. I've also gotten a lot out of Auto University, and so my question is....is there a school worth the money or do you get the same thing by trial & error (preferably error on your own, very old car)?

WindyCity
10-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Look on youtube. use the autogeek website. and trial and error. It would be helpful to spend a grand on the class but you are better off spending it on supplies....there are alot of things that you are going to buy that you dont like and a lot of things that youll love....However trial and error is the best. Find someone whos paint need help and ask them to try buffing on their car.....alot of people dont care what their cars look like and would be happy with any results even if you think its bad.....after a while you will get the feel for it and start to get good at it.

robb01
10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Look on youtube. use the autogeek website. and trial and error. It would be helpful to spend a grand on the class but you are better off spending it on supplies....there are alot of things that you are going to buy that you dont like and a lot of things that youll love....However trial and error is the best. Find someone whos paint need help and ask them to try buffing on their car.....alot of people dont care what their cars look like and would be happy with any results even if you think its bad.....after a while you will get the feel for it and start to get good at it.
Agreed, for 1k you can buy a PC and a lot of supplies, and then pick up a junk panel and practice away

Showroom Shine
10-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I too felt that the Detailing Siminars were to expensive. I just signed up for a one day course wtih Detail King. The training is in Pittsburg
Pa. this Saturday. $159 seemed like a pretty good price. I would like to attend a Meguires and Mobile Tech, but they are usually to far away. The cost would be a bit too much at this time. Hope I have some good info to share. This is my first.

TOGWT
10-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Detailing Reference Books

Automotive Paint Handbook: Paint Technology for Auto Enthusiasts - John Pfanstiehl - 1998
Aircraft Cleaning, Polishing & Detailing Manual – Jet Stream Aviation Products ($49.95)
Start Your Own Automobile Detailing Businessby Eileen Figure Sandlin

Detailing Courses

The Valugard Prepexcellence Program-

Detailing Success - Auto Detailing Training

Auto Detailing Seminar - Held monthly in San Diego, CA a two day seminar for professionals in the auto detailing industry – http//:Auto Detailing Supplies and Car Care Products, Car Detailing Super Store, Auto Detailing Trailers and more

IICRC Course Descriptions: Leather Cleaning Technician course - Welcome to the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification! The Certifying Body for the Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Industry, Representing Certified Firms and Technicians World-Wide - International

KLEEN CAR (New Milford, New Jersey) provides detailed education for the detailing profession. With instruction that goes far beyond just simple demonstrations, we provide training and insight on every aspect of the business - 888 – 302- 6400 - professional car detailing training -

Showroom Shine
10-31-2008, 09:46 PM
The hand books are great,as are the DVD's showing all the steps and techniques. But I don't think anything will beat hands on visual training. Just MO!

ScottB
10-31-2008, 10:27 PM
If you live in Florida annually Autogeek offers DetailFest and alot of hand on demo's and manufacturers showing products and how to use them. Autogeek also offers a how-to area on sale site (see tool bar) to bookmark and review as needed. Some polishing videos are even included in that area.

DetailPro
11-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Going to a training class if the training class is well organized and actually teaches you the methods and procedures is priceless! Trail and error and spending $1000 on supplies and learning thru a forum is a dister waiting to happen. Find a good course and a good company that will be there to help you after you leave the school. I wen to Detail King's training class in Pittsburgh a few years ago. They set me down the right path. I quit my job after 4 months and now operate a fulltime mobile detailing business making over $1800 a week. Their products are great and my rep (Jason) really helps me out with any questions that I may have. Good luck, message me if you wanna know more.

Joe

Looking around I see that Meguiar's offers a variety of detailing classes and there's a place in San Diego that offers classes... in general, are these places worth the $1,000 or $1600?
I know there are videos available online, I know you can buy DVDs, but it seems that a professional looking over your shoulder is better. I've also gotten a lot out of Auto University, and so my question is....is there a school worth the money or do you get the same thing by trial & error (preferably error on your own, very old car)?

Bunky
11-02-2008, 07:19 AM
If you live in Florida annually Autogeek offers DetailFest and alot of hand on demo's and manufacturers showing products and how to use them. Autogeek also offers a how-to area on sale site (see tool bar) to bookmark and review as needed. Some polishing videos are even included in that area.

I think AG can take DF to the next level by offering some courses for a fee. For example, day 1 is the normal DF and day 2 is hands on classes. AG does not have the offer the classes but get someone to come in (like Meg's) to do something with hands on work, etc. This way DF could attract people from further away.

ScottB
11-02-2008, 07:45 AM
I think AG can take DF to the next level by offering some courses for a fee. For example, day 1 is the normal DF and day 2 is hands on classes. AG does not have the offer the classes but get someone to come in (like Meg's) to do something with hands on work, etc. This way DF could attract people from further away.

These idea's are always shared with Capt Max :cheers:

Anthony Orosco
11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
If you're within or close to Texas (or willing to travel) I offer training. We offer both detail training and PDR training.

If you're closer to the upper East coast then I highly recommend Kevin Farrell 888.302.6400

You'll need at least 2 days or more for some in depth and proper training. 2 weeks for PDR training.

Anthony

94LT1
11-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Going to a training class if the training class is well organized and actually teaches you the methods and procedures is priceless! Trail and error and spending $1000 on supplies and learning thru a forum is a dister waiting to happen. Find a good course and a good company that will be there to help you after you leave the school. I wen to Detail King's training class in Pittsburgh a few years ago. They set me down the right path. I quit my job after 4 months and now operate a fulltime mobile detailing business making over $1800 a week. Their products are great and my rep (Jason) really helps me out with any questions that I may have. Good luck, message me if you wanna know more.

Joe
Detail King is in my town.A friend of mine works for them and i get a few things from them every now and then.There products arent bad.But i think the main thing about there classes is to teach you everything to look for if you want to start your own detailing business.But from wat i hear its very effective if you take Nick who is the owners advice.
I personally find there products are over priced.but maybe its just me.

loudog2
11-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I bartended for years, when I was younger. It's the same concept. You can take a class if you want, or learn on the go. I learn better under pressure, by hands on. It's all combinations, like mixing drinks. What goes good with what. If I was opening a business, I might take a class. But, if I'm messing around with family and friends. Trial by fire is fine. Just don't start out with a rotary!

scottgt
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
just try out different products...you dont need a class...just practice

Anthony Orosco
11-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Getting some training is far better than just learning on your own or trying out various products.

What type of paint are you working on?

What type of stain are you dealing with? Oil based, protein, etc ?

How do you effectively remove smoke odors, spoiled milk, gasoline?

Can you use that type of wheel cleaner on those type of wheels?

Is that leather coated or aniline?

How do I remove stains from Alcantara.....or could it be natural suede?

There's a great deal more to proper (quality) detail and reconditioning work than just trying out different products and watching videos on Youtube.

Anthony