PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference ?

redavalanche
10-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi.
What is the difference between a light swirl remover and a polish?

This post was way longer but decided against it as not to offend any Zaino users. Maybe this should be my sig. LOL.

TOGWT
10-30-2008, 04:50 AM
A polish is rated on the finishing paper grit marks it will remove.

'Swirl' marks are rated at approx 2000 grit. So a 2000 grit polish should remove them (wither it be called a swirl mark remover or a polish = marketing speak for same thing).

For more information see the “Polishing” article on #############; a series of informative, knowledge based, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing

robb01
10-30-2008, 08:23 AM
It could be used interchangeably I imagine, as a polish would remove swirls, and obviously a swirl remover will too.

vinnier6
10-30-2008, 08:29 AM
polish is a generic term...anything with the ability to correct is a polish...

ScottB
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
unfortunately another marketing term and most swirl removers are polishes. As offered above you need to determine their cut or grit removal factor.

redavalanche
10-30-2008, 07:57 PM
I may be missing something but it does not seem like its possible for a novice to determine the "grit" of any of these polishes. Especially across manufacturers...

I do see 1,2,3 or 3,2,1 or light, medium, heavy for "swirl removers."
I do not see any "polish" with a grit rating.
Some polish claims not to be abrasive at all.

ScottB
10-31-2008, 08:00 PM
most polishes are easier to decifier in finishing (light), normal, and aggressive (compounds). Again because the term polish is used lightly in car care, you have to read and understand the product. For example Zaino calls itself a car polish, but infact the two main products are sealants. (Z2, Z5)