PDA

View Full Version : name change

texasdan
08-10-2006, 08:38 PM
All,

I am now texasdan. No I'm not from Texas but like the name since I travel there a lot.

This is for security reasons, as this is a public forum. My wife and I have had someone try to steal our identity recently and the issue is still unresolved. Luckily they were not successful.

Actually, we understand that it is a large group that was recently busted by the Postal Service. This is scary. We are very careful about our mail and such. We shred every document with our name on it and do not use unsecured websites for business. All I guess is that they stole our mail in transit or something.

Be careful! texasdan

articsilber323
08-10-2006, 08:42 PM
o i hope everything works out with the identity thing that happened to you

best of luck

-z

Reddwarf
08-10-2006, 08:43 PM
I just attended a lecture about IT security. Man it was scary! He gave a loy of real examples of public companies that have had customer's personal idendtifiable information (like ssn + name) that was unenrypted has been lost data or have been compromised. Real scary stuff!

texasdan
08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Yes its scary. The Postal Inspector told us that the crooks could pay about $40 on a website and get all the info they need to get a credit card in your name, apply cor cerdit, apply for jobs, etc.

supercharged
08-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I would really hate to say this, but in my own opinion I think that stealing identity should be treated as terrorism. I seriously mean it! Same should go for hackers. Remember what Stalin was saying!

FloridaNative
08-11-2006, 07:24 AM
man that is scary! I hope everything resolves itself soon Texasdan. :)

ScottB
08-11-2006, 06:49 PM
guess I should not have SOLD your info to my pen pal at Florida State Correctional Institution when I sent you the samples. (OUCH) J/K

and in my day work .... we obviously deal with this often. Banks are a breeding ground for identity theft.

abrcrombe
08-11-2006, 07:09 PM
That totally sucks, hope it all works out for you!

texasdan
08-14-2006, 09:01 PM
No damage is done yet. Luckily the postal service intervened. We have used identity guard for a while for all our accounts, so we are informed of any activity (or requested activity) that takes place. We think its worth the money and will monitor very closely for a while.

Someone just stole my utility trailer last week. Now I can't haul my lawn mower to my land to mow. They didn't even retract the jack, and it just broke off when they took off. The tongue was locked, but just with a padlock. I didn't find the padlock anywhere so they may have just chained it to the bumper and took off. I hope I catch them, but its unlikely.

Sometimes things just suck! AAAAuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

FloridaNative
08-15-2006, 07:01 AM
That sucks!! Man! Who did you piss off that knows voodoo? This sure seems like some kind of curse or something.

texasdan
08-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Well,

There's more to the story than just this. I'm building a house right now and its been over a year on a 6 month job. My house and another are the last two jobs before the builder retires (going broke is more like it). I find all this out after $12K can't be accounted for...

Don't ever build a house. The profit you pay someone else is worth it. I'm getting screwed by the builder. Now things are showing up missing (builder's stuff, too), so I've been guarding the place until its finished.

joe.p
08-19-2006, 08:30 PM
All,

I am now texasdan. No I'm not from Texas but like the name since I travel there a lot.

This is for security reasons, as this is a public forum. My wife and I have had someone try to steal our identity recently and the issue is still unresolved. Luckily they were not successful.

Actually, we understand that it is a large group that was recently busted by the Postal Service. This is scary. We are very careful about our mail and such. We shred every document with our name on it and do not use unsecured websites for business. All I guess is that they stole our mail in transit or something.

Be careful! texasdanI know how you feel someone used my CC to run up $1,000 and then Tried to use my debit card to buy a computer from HP in California. You have to be very careful doing business over the internet. I have never once had this problem until i used the computers to make purchases.

Calicoastin
08-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Seems you can't be careful enough about who you give your personal info to. As the saying goes, better safe than sorry.

texasdan
08-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Be careful with e-mail. If you get an e-mail that claims to be from some website, never click on the links and enter information. Crooks make copies of pages and trick you into entering information into them.

FloridaNative
08-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Well,

There's more to the story than just this. I'm building a house right now and its been over a year on a 6 month job. My house and another are the last two jobs before the builder retires (going broke is more like it). I find all this out after $12K can't be accounted for...

Don't ever build a house. The profit you pay someone else is worth it. I'm getting screwed by the builder. Now things are showing up missing (builder's stuff, too), so I've been guarding the place until its finished.

Oh man!! So what happened to the 12K?? Is that money that you are out or the builder??