PDA

View Full Version : 5.5 Pad Thickness... concerns

msquared100
10-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I've always used the 6.5 Lake Country (LC) pads but I was thinking of making the switch to the 5.5 LC pads due to the glowing reviews I've seen on AG. My only concern is that the 5.5 LC pads are only 3/4" thick. This is quite a bit thinner that the 6.5 pads (1 1/4").

1)Have you had any heat trouble with the 5.5 pads?
2)What about product making it's way through the thinner 5.5 pad to the backing plate?
3)Are there any other brands that offer a thicker 5.5 pad?

Thanks.

Xtian989
10-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I've only used my 5.5" white LC pad a few times now, but so far I haven't had any problems with excessive heat. However, I have had product make its way through the pad to the backing plate, (Poorboy's PwS). I suppose you could always rinse off the backing plate when you're through....though this might get to be a pain if you have to do it frequently. I'm not sure if any other brands make 5.5" pads of greater thickness than the LCs......

D_Nyholm
10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
I only use the 5.5" pads. I've never had the polish make its way through the pad (Menzerna) and I never really had any heat concerns. I am actually about to place an order for some 6.5" pads (white only) to see if I can cover more area quicker and still have the polish break down....

TOGWT
10-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I've always used the 6.5 Lake Country (LC) pads but I was thinking of making the switch to the 5.5 LC pads due to the glowing reviews I've seen on AG. My only concern is that the 5.5 LC pads are only 3/4" thick. This is quite a bit thinner that the 6.5 pads (1 1/4").

1)Have you had any heat trouble with the 5.5 pads?
2)What about product making it's way through the thinner 5.5 pad to the backing plate?
3)Are there any other brands that offer a thicker 5.5 pad?

Thanks.

Density - provides a protective cushion allowing foam compression to maintain constant surface pressure and it also lessens machine vibration. It also affects the amount of polish the pad will hold; foams that hold a high volume of product allows the polish to do the cutting, as opposed to the abrasiveness of the foam.

1.25 inch pad thickness was set as an industry standard because it prevented residues and provided insulation from friction heat from reaching the backing plate, either of which could compromise the Velcro® delaminating backing material. There is a safety margin between the edge of the baking material and the foam with this ‘standard’ foam pad. This foam density provides a protective cushion allowing foam compression to maintain constant surface pressure and it also lessens machine vibration.

Like all things related to tools, pad thickness comes down to personal preference. I should also state that a 7/8th- inch thickness foam has it backing material flush with the edge of the pad, while the 1.25-inch has a safety margin between the edge of the baking material and the foam, there is also has a cost saving on the 7/8 foam

5.5-inch x 0.75-inch may be re-labelled LC Pads

msquared100
10-28-2008, 01:11 PM
It doesn't sound like there's much of an advantage to the 5.5 pads unless your doing fairly intensive correction work.

vinnier6
10-28-2008, 08:14 PM
i have used both, i just like the 5.5 pads, they are easier to use and the lower profile and size make correction easier then when using the larger pads...