PDA

View Full Version : help on damage from tree dirt

pampos
10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Is there a possibility the tree dirt to make holes on the CC??A customer came today with that damage...I try to remove the dirt with clay which left me a smooth surface but with tiny spots on the CC...I tried a cleaner polish some compound but nothing....The spots look like stone chips all over the car..i tried to take some pictures but it was impossible....
Any ideas how to repair this damage??is wet sanding an option??

TOGWT
10-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Tree Resin (Sap):
(Appears like a dark brown/ red coloured raised surface mark) some of the most common resinous tree sap types are: White Pine, Walnut (also secretes an oily residue) Maple, Oak, Popular, and Blue Spruce, none of which are water soluble, the acidic content of the sap will etch the paint surface; causing a concave surface.

A lot depends upon the type of sap, which is actually an acidic resin emitted from the tree, the resin deposits can be removed by allowing one of the following to dwell on the resin for approx five mins; Isopropyl alcohol (IPA), a safe solvent like Stoner’s Tarminator™, or turpentine (especially effective on pine resin) which is made from tree resin, in severe cases it can be used to break down the resins in tree sap, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work (dwell) use detailer’s clay to remove any surface debris once resin is removed.

Once you remove the sap deposits, the paint or clear may be cracked, which may entail some expensive refinishing. Factors as to the amount of time it takes to remove sap and what damage it has caused are dependent on temperature and time the sap has been on the paint surface. Be careful and take your time removing it, remember always let the products do the work for you.

Tree sap that is still soft can be removed by soaking with Isopropyl Alcohol (or Stoner’s Terminator) wet the area with the product and allows it to remain on the surface for 3-5 minutes, then wipe with soft dry towel. For tree sap that has hardened, carefully scrape the top of the spot off with a plastic razor blade to expose the softer sap inside.

Apply Zaino’s ZPC Fusion with a foam applicator and then remove residue or soak a towel with the solvent placing it over the sap and let soak for 10-minutes, repeat in order for the solvents to break down the sap, once it’s removed re-apply sealant / wax protection of your choice. If the paint has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection

pampos
10-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Tree Resin (Sap):
(Appears like a dark brown/ red coloured raised surface mark) some of the most common resinous tree sap types are: White Pine, Walnut (also secretes an oily residue) Maple, Oak, Popular, and Blue Spruce, none of which are water soluble, the acidic content of the sap will etch the paint surface; causing a concave surface.

A lot depends upon the type of sap, which is actually an acidic resin emitted from the tree, the resin deposits can be removed by allowing one of the following to dwell on the resin for approx five mins; Isopropyl alcohol (IPA), a safe solvent like Stoner’s Tarminator™, or turpentine (especially effective on pine resin) which is made from tree resin, in severe cases it can be used to break down the resins in tree sap, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work (dwell) use detailer’s clay to remove any surface debris once resin is removed.

Once you remove the sap deposits, the paint or clear may be cracked, which may entail some expensive refinishing. Factors as to the amount of time it takes to remove sap and what damage it has caused are dependent on temperature and time the sap has been on the paint surface. Be careful and take your time removing it, remember always let the products do the work for you.

Tree sap that is still soft can be removed by soaking with Isopropyl Alcohol (or Stoner’s Terminator) wet the area with the product and allows it to remain on the surface for 3-5 minutes, then wipe with soft dry towel. For tree sap that has hardened, carefully scrape the top of the spot off with a plastic razor blade to expose the softer sap inside.

Apply Zaino’s ZPC Fusion with a foam applicator and then remove residue or soak a towel with the solvent placing it over the sap and let soak for 10-minutes, repeat in order for the solvents to break down the sap, once it’s removed re-apply sealant / wax protection of your choice. If the paint has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection

Thanks mate.....
The problems are
1) the customer let it there for a long period
2) the sap has been removed
3)there are marks of the sap but i don't know if the cc has been removed on those spots or if the marks are came through the CC.
I tried to clay it,i had the smooth surface but the marks are still there.I tried also IPA(I wet a MF towel and i let it to soak there for about 4 minutes) but nothing happened

TOGWT
10-28-2008, 08:23 AM
You may need to either; polish/compound/wet-sand the etched paint surface

pampos
10-28-2008, 10:57 AM
You may need to either; polish/compound/wet-sand the etched paint surface
Thanks mate :cheers: