PDA

View Full Version : newb from Michigan

mcamp
10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you for letting me be apart of your online community. I'm interested in starting a mobile detailing business as im sure alot of people on here are and already have. Just seeing what the pros and cons are, and what it takes to get up and running. I also wanted to see what ppl do in the north where it gets pretty damn cold in the winter. I was even thinking about offering windshield chip and crack repair and headlight restoration.

Well theres my introduction, now I'm off to to read, read, read, and learn as much as I can. Im the MAN
Thanx for sharing all your info,
Mike from Metro Detroit, Michigan

sal329
10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Welcome to AG

robb01
10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
:welcome:

David Fermani
10-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Welcome Mike. Good luck. I'd have to say the Michigan is probably the worst state to do modile detailing in. I've seen about a dozen people close their doors throughout my tenure there. I think it could work better if you offered pick up & delivery from a fixed location in the winter months. There's really no way to do things outside.

Gary Sword
10-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Welcome Mike. Good luck. I'd have to say the Michigan is probably the worst state to do modile detailing in. I've seen about a dozen people close their doors throughout my tenure there. I think it could work better if you offered pick up & delivery from a fixed location in the winter months. There's really no way to do things outside.

I use to live in Southeast Michigan and I would have to agree. You at least need a heated garage to do detailing in the Michigan winters.

mcamp
10-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah i kinda figured I'm not in the greatest state to start something like this. Wish I would've thought about all this when I lived in FL. maybe I would've stayed then...lol Who knows maybe Ill move back. I do hate winter.

Maybe I can just make detailing seasonal, say from March to sometime in Oct. or Nov., and in the winter months just do the headlight restoration and windshield repair. I dont know, alot to think about. I even thought about offering oil changes, either with a detail for a discount or by itself. What do you guys think? Is it to much? Am I thinking overboard?

Oh, And Thanx for the Welcome guys

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
If you plan on doing this year round as a main source of income the winter will be tough... To survive you will need to resort to non autopian dealership work...

Good luck and welcome

ScottB
10-28-2008, 06:40 PM
just put mom's back on a plane to White Lake this afternoon ... sounds like your winter just started.

mcamp
10-29-2008, 10:44 AM
just put mom's back on a plane to White Lake this afternoon ... sounds like your winter just started.

Yeah it sure feels like winter's starting already...with a high of 45 and cloudy, what kind of #### weather is this? Mom's gonna wanna run back to FL. when she arrives... lol. I think I should've stayed down there...I miss the fishing & winters there.

mazdaspeed
10-29-2008, 11:18 PM
hi from across the river , i just detailed a car outside today and have another on saturday but being moble i think thats going to be it till spring. unless i can get a shop to rent that isnt overpriced lol...good luck