PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 Question

akimel
10-25-2008, 05:15 PM
After applying a coat of Collinite 845, how long should one wait before applying a second coat? What is the optimal time? What is the minimum time? TIA.

Al

charliehaley
10-26-2008, 12:05 AM
I would say 12 hours would be sufficient. You can wait longer if you want but its not really necessary.

supercharged
10-26-2008, 06:24 AM
try do wait 12 hours if possible...this will let the first coat cure completely...

StephenK
10-26-2008, 10:19 AM
that is what i told someone else that i do is wait 12 hours and this is what one response was from another forum
10-14-08, 09:52 #5 (permalink)
STSInNYC

Re: Few questions before I winter wax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cordially disagree with keepitclean. I contacted the Collinite people before I started using 476 a while back. They told me that a cure time of 45 minutes or so was fine before adding the next layer. I asked specifically about a 12 hour cure time and they said it wasn't necessary.

I have not had problems laying 476 on over other products, just put it on over DWG for winter.

As to how many coats you need, I suppose it depends on the severity of your winter conditions, whether or not your car is garaged or sits outside, etc. I put on 3 coats but we drive a lot in tough conditions, salt, sand, winter sludge. Two coats could be fine for less difficult conditions.

Surfer
10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Remember to shake the sh!t out of it before using

akimel
10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
I just received an email from Collinite. They advise a minimum of 30 minutes between applications, though . This jives with Detailgod's post above. Perhaps a longer wait might be of some benefit, but apparently the manufacturer doesn't think so (or at least not significant enough to commend).

And Surfer, you are so right about the necessity to shake and shake and shake the 845. It finally became a creamy consistency. I cleaned the paint with ColorX, which I allowed to dry. After buffing, I waited about an hour and then applied the 845. I found it easy to apply (thin layer) and easy to remove after hazing. I'm looking forward now to seeing if 845 is as durable as it is reputed to be. I haven't decided on whether to apply a second coat of 845. The email from Collinite stated that one coat "should do the job." I think I might just test this.

Al

alowe
10-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Put a second coat. It is SOOOO easy to apply, just do it!

Matt S.
10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Couple hours should be fine. 12 hours wouldn't make much sense unless you wake up really early to do it, then again later at night.

ewiesner
10-28-2008, 05:42 PM
So... if I apply 845 twice, is it necessary/beneficial to apply say Natty's Red or perhaps 4* UPP w/polycharger?

akimel
10-28-2008, 06:38 PM
If I have applied 845 twice in preparation for winter, I'm sure not going to top it with anything else and thus risk diminishing its durability.

StephenK
10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
just received an email from Collinite. They advise a minimum of 30 minutes between applications, though . This jives with Detailgod's post above

that was a post by someone else on different forum. dont want to take credit for someone elses info.