PDA

View Full Version : Removing runs in clear??

pricha00
10-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Freshly painted Boss 302 Mustang being turned into a road race car. Body shop left a couple of good size runs in the clear. What is the preferred method to remove these. I am guessing sand flush and then compound and polish but what grade of paper would I start with. I know 2000 would be the safest but that would take three days of sanding I think. Also are there any tricks to keeping the sanding limited to just the actual run and not the surrounding clear?

Pat.

robb01
10-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I might start w/ 2500 and go to 2000 if it needs it

nrengle
10-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I know the prefered paper lately for Wet sanding is Megs Unigrit, or 3M Trizact.

If you've never wet sanded, do some serious homework before starting this. Youtube has some good video's from one of the Megs workshops on wetsanding, and the steps needed to bring the shine back afterwards.

There's a few good threads on Autopia about it too, might take a bit of searching though. Good luck!

richy
10-26-2008, 10:38 AM
It's not easy to recover from a crappy paint job. You need to ensure that the clear behind the run is thick enough before you start sanding away the run. If not, you'll go through and it'll need a repaint. Is the painter willing to repaint the area for you? If so (I would hope so) then you've got nothing to lose by trying. Good luck...

TOGWT
10-26-2008, 12:31 PM
For more information see article “Wet-Sanding (Colour Sanding)-” ############# a series of informative, knowledge based and unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing

blob
10-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Let the body shop fix the runs...it is their fault after all. Then all you have to do is fix their crappy buffing job.