PDA

View Full Version : Boutique Wax: A Christmas Gift

Pages : [1] 2

akimel
10-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Greetings, friends. I am the happy owner of a black Honda S2000. My family knows how much I adore her. They also know that I would never, under present economic conditions, go out and buy an expensive wax/sealant. I am a happy Meguiar's man. My family has therefore made it known that they desire to give me an expensive wax for Christmas and have asked me which one I would like.

I have arbitrarily set a limit of $100. As much as I adore my S2000, I cannot justify spending more on her, even if I'm not the one spending the money. After reading through this forum and others, I have narrowed my candidates to the following. Which one on my list do you prefer for a black car? Do you prefer one I have overlooked? Durability is not a decisive concern. Waxes are listed in alphabetical order:

Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba

Chemical Guys 5050

Pinnacle Souveran

P21S 100% Carnauba

Victoria Concours Red

Zymol Carbon Wax

Less expensive waxes I am also considering are:

Adam's Buttery Wax

Poorboy's Natty's Paste Wax (Red or Blue?)

Thanks for your help!

Al

P.S. Swissvax Crystal Rock was just outside my price range ;)

jrose0070
10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
souveran looks great on black you will love it, a good sealent however is wolfgang sealant 3.0 i like the result both of these produce

Rsurfer
10-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Al, do you own a polisher? I can't imagine having a black car and no polisher.

akimel
10-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Al, do you own a polisher? I can't imagine having a black car and no polisher.

Yes, I own a G110. I'm a beginner but have the arsenal of Meguiar's polishes (M80, M83, M07, etc.). I prefer, for reasons I do not understand, to apply and remove waxes by hand.

Jimmie
10-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Souveran is the one that always looks "over-the-top" good on black when they're shown on here, IMO.

Rsurfer
10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Yes, I own a G110. I'm a beginner but have the arsenal of Meguiar's polishes (M80, M83, M07, etc.). I prefer, for reasons I do not understand, to apply and remove waxes by hand.Your not alone on waxing by hand. 3.0 and Souveran is a great combo. Souveran is a beauty wax and very short durability, maybe a month.

killrflake
10-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Souveran is the one that always looks "over-the-top" good on black when they're shown on here, IMO.
:whs:

Meghan
10-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Black Car=SOUVERAN

supercharged
10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Pinnacle Souveran paste is one of the best out there. Super-easy on/off and looks awesome too!

wytstang
10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
From your list Souveran........
May I suggest Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant topped with Pinnacles liquid Souveran. Or 4 Star's Ultimate Paint Protection topped with DP Maxwax (or Megs #26).

ScottB
10-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Souveran ... simply delicious !

akimel
10-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. On the basis of what I have read here and over at Autopia, I have decided to ask the fam for Pinnacle Souveran. Within my arbitrarily chosen price range, it's the most expensive wax. Everyone agrees that it looks great on black and that it's a joy to apply and remove. Hopefully I will find a jar of it under my Christmas tree.

So many good choices. I was particularly tempted by Victoria Concours Red (never applied a wax by hand before). Some day I'd also like to try 50/50, Lusso Oro, and P21S. But given pocketbook restrictions, these will probably have to wait until subsequent Christmas's. :)

The real question is whether I'll be able to discern a real difference between Souveran and, say, M26. If Dave KG's wax test is accurate (and I suspect it is), I probably won't be able to. When it comes to blind testings, whether it be beer, wine, or single malt scotches, I never seem to identify products correctly, though even I can tell the difference between Oban and Laphroaig. But can I distinguish between Oban and, say, Glenmorangie in a blind taste test? I tell everyone that Oban has long been my favorite, though it has become unaffordable in recent years; but I do not trust myself to be able to pick it out from among a range of similar scotches, whether expensive ones or inexpensive ones. My palate is insufficiently trained.

What what extent does price and reputation inform our appreciation of the appearances created by specific car waxes? Can our "palates" be trained through experience to appreciate superior waxes? Or is it all mainly prep?

Thanks again.

Al

Emile
10-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Wolfgang Fuzion, if Autogeek will ever do the $100 shipped promo for it again (hint for Meghan).

Otherwise, Pinnacle Souveran. It seems to make black cars look absolutely stunning.

ScottB
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Souveran was originally designed to take the place of and enhance the look of Zymol Destiny. Its a 400.00 boutique wax offering. There is a reason Souveran is usually weighted against everyone elses offering it is often considered the king of the mountain. Ask family for the Sizzling Shine Kit and youll see the results and no need to spend a fortune.

akimel
10-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Souveran was originally designed to take the place of and enhance the look of Zymol Destiny. Its a 400.00 boutique wax offering. There is a reason Souveran is usually weighted against everyone elses offering it is often considered the king of the mountain. Ask family for the Sizzling Shine Kit and youll see the results and no need to spend a fortune.

Haha! I sent the info about that kit to my wife just yesterday. I hope she passes it on to the "interested" parties quickly, so they can take advantage of the present discount.