PDA

View Full Version : clay bar question

Blake30
10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Is claying needed before heavy paint correction with rotary compound on very poor paint or can I skip it?

charliehaley
10-24-2008, 01:44 PM
I would definately still clay if it is in very poor condition. Any contaminants left on they paint could cause excess micro marring and even swirling if they get in the pad. It is a very small thing to do considering how big off a safe guard it is.

Meghan
10-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I would definately still clay if it is in very poor condition. Any contaminants left on they paint could cause excess micro marring and even swirling if they get in the pad. It is a very small thing to do considering how big off a safe guard it is.

:whs:

robb01
10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Agree 100%

TOGWT
10-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Q If I’m going to polish the car with an abrasive, do I still need to use detailer’s clay?

Polishing and detailer's clay are very different processes. One good reason to clay before you polish; polishing can result in smoothing and rounding the surface contamination it making it significantly harder to remove later.

Although a polish / compound will remove the contamination there is a risk is that the abrasive particles will become embedded in the foam pad, which will cause surface scratches / marring by making the foam /polish more abrasive than necessary and may cause deep scratches

For more information see article “Automotive Detailer’s Clay” ############# a series of informative, knowledge based and unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing

rwisejr
10-24-2008, 04:49 PM
:iagree: 100%

Jimmie
10-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't skip it. Clay for all of the reasons the guys above mentioned.

killrflake
10-24-2008, 05:53 PM
If your going to do it, do it right. DON'T skip the clay.