PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Purchasing my first set of products

stjohnson
10-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Hello, I'm looking for any advice regarding what I should and should not purchase from people who have some experience. I'm not an expert detailer, but I am an avid auto enthusiast. I just bought a new M45 and already (3 weeks in) I'm noticing swirl marks in my dark pearl blue slate finish. Very annoying! But needless to say, I've been perusing the AutoGeek store and forums and have come up with what I think I need to safely remove the swirls and maintain a year after year glossy finish.

And before I go any farther, I know there are religious debates on rotaries vs. dual action, and brands of products. I'm not so much looking to ignite that sort of discussion, but rather, I'd like guidance on the right products to fit my needs.

1.)
So, tool wise, I'm pretty sold on the XC 3401 dual action polisher. I know it's pricy, but being a novice, I don't want to go the rotary route. And this one seems to be getting very good reviews. In the hands of a pro it's most certainly an impressive tool. Which means in my hands it should be very safe and effective. And I don't want to cut corners here since this seems to be the cornerstone of a good detail.

2.)
Now a point of confusion. Pads and backers. I have a new car, don't have oxidation, just light swirling. Do I need to concern myself with multiple pads or kits with all of these pads?

3.)
Product wise, I like what I've read about Menzerna Intro Kit. But to be honest, I don't think I need the Intensive bottle. Probably would only use the final polish. Does this raise any flags to anyone? The car is only about 2 months old, so the swirls are what you would imagine a terry towel would do after a few passes.

After that, I see that AG has a link to Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, which seems logical. So I've added that to my cart as well.

4.)
But to apply, would they both ( Menzerna and Wolfgang) use the same pad? Once applied, do you use the polisher with a clean pad or cover to remove? Or just remove by hand with a microfiber towel or two?

5.)
Also, while I have your attention, I see lots of posts and videos of people with taped off headlights or trim. Do I need to do this? I'd think that polishing and waxing these elements would be a good thing.

6.)
The last thing that I can think of is regarding microfiber towels. I just picked up a set of about 6 from the store the other day. I used a fresh one out of the pack to wipe down the dash of my car and wipe some haze off of the covers of the speedo and tach., etc. But upon closer inspection, this left swirl marks on the plastic! I'm dying over here!! I thought I was doing a good thing using a fresh/new microfiber towel, but still, I left swirls on my guage cluster. So this leads me into my microfiber towels question, are some better than others, and why? Would I risk this swirling on my newly polished exterior in the same way that I caused swirls on interior plastic? Is there some product/lubricant that I should always apply to microfiber towels before using them on interior glossy components?

Any pro tips are very welcome. And thanks for the help, I know this was a bit wordy.

Oh, and one other thing, polishing takes off a bit of finish, right? So next year when inevitably there will be some additional swirl marks that will need to be removed, and I go and re-polish again, am I actually going to be removing more and more paint every year? Is this a bad practice to get started in? My thought is that the swirl marks are actually in the wax or clear coat. But even still, removing them each year seems to be a thinning proposition that you wouldn't want to do even remotely regularly. What's the real story?

kopimon
11-04-2008, 08:30 AM
BUMP .. a lot of good questions asked here .. I'm interested in some answers from professionals, as well

I'm only an amateur detailer, so I'll offer whatever insight I can

1) I don't see what advantages the Flex offers over a PC 7424 for light swirl removal. I bought a 7424 and I'm perfectly happy with it (and its price tag).

2) I would get two pads in whatever colors you'll use. I have orange pads for swirl removal, white pads for polishing, gray/black pads for applying sealant and red pads for applying waxes. I would get 5.5" pads in the colors you need. This is a good reference chart:
http://www.auto-geek.net/lakecountrycomparisonchart.htm

There are lots of kits available all over the web and I had a tough time putting a good package together, so you'll have to do a lot of research before it's time to buy. In my case I bought everything individually because no combination of kits offered everything I was looking for at a good price.

3)Even if you don't use the Intensive polish now, it's a good product to keep on hand. If your swirls are light, start with the final polish on a white pad. If that doesn't get rid of them, step up to the intensive polish. I used the IP and an orange pad this weekend and it did a great job of removing some swirls and light scratches.

I haven't used the DG sealant but a lot of people swear by it. Top it off with some Pinnacle Souveran wax for an awesome finish.

4)Use the chart above to decide which pad to use with which chemical. Just wipe off with an MF towel after the chemical is broken down (for polishes) or spread evenly (for sealants and waxes). I used the videos at the bottom of this page (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html) to learn how to use an orbital polisher.

5)You don't want to get those chemicals on your plastic/rubber trim (because they'll dry it out??). I always tape up any rubber trim and the edges of body panels (it's a real pain in the ass to remove anything that gets stuck between panels).

I use Duragloss 501 polish on chrome trim, Aerospace 303 on plastic and rubber trim and PlastX on the headlights.

6)I have the same question .. I never completely understood the difference between a Cobra MF towel and the ones from Autozone. I tested the Autozone towels on a black CD and they didn't leave any scratches/swirls/marring on the surface so they're OK for paint, right?

The only difference I noticed is that the Autozone towels "wear out" pretty quickly. After a couple of uses and wash/dry cycles, they lose their ability to absorb and just end up spreading stuff around. At that point, I relegate them to drying the wheels, cleaning glass, wiping down engine compartment, wiping down leather seats, etc...

--
I think most people detail their daily drivers 3-4 times a year, but I'm not sure how much clearcoat is removed each time. I guess it depends on how aggressive your polishes and pads are.

I would add a good clay bar to your order. It's a good idea to clay the car before you polish.

robb01
11-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Since you already got some great answers, Ill address no. 5

The reason people tape up the edges, is so that they don't get chemicals on rubber/plastics that could damage them, as well as getting polish splatter into crevices. You'll soon realize how much it is to remove splatter :)

vinnier6
11-04-2008, 04:35 PM
i would say get the pc, you can do plenty with it and its great for paint correction, and you wont have any chance to damage your paint....

pads, get two of each, orange, white, grey/blac....orange for med-heavy swirls, white for mild swirls, paint cleaners and such, and the black/grey pads for applying waxes and sealants with the pc, makes it go much much faster...

products, i would buy at a minimum, a decent polish, and a decent sealant...

my car was new last year, i am a first time machine polisher, i bought a pc/udm, pinnical swirl remover, pinnical advanced finishing polish, 4 star upp, danase wet glaze, and now optimum poliseal....i keep adding stuff because once you get started its addicting....

although i have very little use for the orange pads, its nice to have them handy incase i get a deeper scratch, i use the white pads every time i detail my car, and the black one every time i wax/seal...

vinnier6
11-04-2008, 04:42 PM
as for clearcoat removal, as long as your maintaining your car, you wont be taking off any clearcoat...its the car that gets beat up and needs to be corrected that needs clearcoat to be taken down....very light swirls can be removed with a mild polish and white pad, that will level off the swirls, then you need to learn good technique for washing your car so you dont induce anymore swirls...and never use the auto carwash, never let the dealer wash your car....

ScottB
11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
The Flex is much more powerful and orbits quite a bit faster than a PC and is a valuable upgrade trust those of us that were diehard PC fans back in the day. Most/All of us would now trade them for the Flex in a heatbeat. Look to kits like Ceramiclear Kit with Flex for best value.

Polishes -- Menzerna
Waxes --- Pinnacle
Sealants -- Four Star, Klasse, Wolfgang
Wheels --- P21S
Tire Dressing -- Poorboys Bright Bold
car wash -- Poorboys

these will get you started and most should not break the bank !

alowe
11-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Poorboys CW is nice! Menz #1

killrflake
11-04-2008, 11:00 PM
The Flex is much more powerful and orbits quite a bit faster than a PC and is a valuable upgrade trust those of us that were diehard PC fans back in the day. Most/All of us would now trade them for the Flex in a heatbeat. Look to kits like Ceramiclear Kit with Flex for best value.

Polishes -- Menzerna
Waxes --- Pinnacle
Sealants -- Four Star, Klasse, Wolfgang
Wheels --- P21S
Tire Dressing -- Poorboys Bright Bold
car wash -- Poorboys

these will get you started and most should not break the bank !
I agree with killrwheels and would throw in a Pinnacle clay bar and some quick detailer to use with it.

vinnier6
11-04-2008, 11:42 PM
no doubt the flex is the superior machine, but for a beginner, and price, its hard to beat the good ole pc for a starter....plus with the savings, you can buy all kinds of polishes, sealants, pads ect ect....

ofcourse, i am jealous because i didnt get a flex!!

builthatch
11-05-2008, 12:09 AM
uhh, where did the OP go?

ScottB
11-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I agree with killrwheels and would throw in a Pinnacle clay bar and some quick detailer to use with it.

nice ... I knew I forgot some things. MF towels too :D