PDA

View Full Version : Mobile guys van setups???

Pages : [1] 2 3

ghost28
10-19-2008, 11:12 AM
hey guys,

i am new to this site but not new to detailing....i have been working out of my Trailblazer for the past 6 months and i am at the point where i think i may buy a van and outfit it specifically for the business.....i was thinking a small shop bt rents are so damn high out here and 60-70% of my work is boats which are in marinas and in the wate so i have to be mobile....

i have been looking at Chevy Astro vans and full size vans as well...the astro has me on the looks dept, the fuel economy and there is a large aftermarket for them but its a little on the small side to set up really well (i am a neat freak)....the full size vans are awesome in that they are super roomy but they drink fuel....also the astro comes in AWD which is a plus for me since i will be using the van as my daily driver so i dont have to replace my Trailblazer when the lease is up shortly....

below is my list of items i think are needed in the van....

water tank....How big?
Pressure washer...
Generator...How Big?
vaccum...
hose reel set up for PW....
racks and shelving...
of course all my detailing goodies...
if i go full size i am thinking of a truck mounted awning instead of my EZ Up tent....

i was also thinking of a few other odd items especially if i go full size van such as a small fridge for wax and drinks which i would run off a pair of dedicated gel cell batteries which would charge off the vehicles charging system as well as there own charging system which i would plug in every night...nothing huge but something....

let me know your thoughts...also pics of anyones trucks or trailers would be sweet to get ideas....

http://detailingbliss.com/forum/images/styles/knockout/misc/progress.gif

robb01
10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Id love to see some pics as well

joholste
10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
i would like to see some pics of these too.

Smokin
10-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I know I have seen this. Just do A search.

Emile
10-19-2008, 10:58 PM
What about a Chevy Express 1500 Cargo Van with AWD? You won't get the Extended Length available on the 2500 and 3500 models but I'm pretty sure it's still longer than the Chevy Astro.

Showroom Shine
10-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Depending upon where you live, have you thought about a pickup truck with the mount type installed in the bed. You could do alot of the instalation yourself and save big time. Google mobile detail units to get your ideas. I have a pick up truck with everything in the back enclosed. As soon as I find out how to down load the pic from this new camera ,I'll try to post a pick of my set up!

WindyCity
10-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Ever think of going with a small enclosed trailer? you could tow it with a trailblazer, brand new they cost less than 2000 for a 5 X 8, and eliminated the need for maintenance, insurance ....etc. I am in the market for a trailer myself and was suprised how roomy a 5 X 8 trailer is....well roomy enough for my detail business. Even as small as a 5 X 8 is you will still have a lot more room in the trailer than the van! And at the end of the day you disconnect it and you have your trailblazer for personal use. Besides a trailer is a great form of advertising........Check out Pace american and Haulmark trailers websites and find a dealer in your area and go check out a trailer in person before you make a decision on purchasing a van, I think it might be a more cost effective way to go.

Dave

Showroom Shine
10-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Only thing about a trailer is the space you'll need to detail, fees, license,tags, a place to park it when you are not using it. I would be worried about someone stealing ,or vandalizing it.

ZXERT
10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
That sounds like a great idea. A small trailer is much more practical than a van. Especially because of the cost involved.

But I would have to garage the trailer or come up with a VERY secure locking system that imobilizes the trailer. Wouldn't want my 5g's worth of crap to come up missing.

Meghan
10-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Pictures of members set ups (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/6342-here-s-mine-now-show-me-yours-detail-rigs-only.html)

D_Nyholm
10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
My cousin used an Astro van (extended version is available) and had 105 gallons of water (a 30 gallon tank and a 75 gallon tank) on the right side as well as a 5 hp gas pressure washer that was gravity fed by the tanks. On the left side were shelving that held all the detail supplies and also had 2 deep cycle batteries and a 600 watt power inverter and the vacuum. He did about 80% washes and 20% details with that and he could go an entire day on that amount of water and the power without having to refill or charge the battery. If he ever did run out of power, he had an 8 ga power cable running from the vans battery to get by. He never hooked the deep cycle batteries to the alternator since it would just tax the alternator too much and he would be replacing alternators left and right. THe batteries would last about 4-5 months before they would stop holding a charge.

If you are mainly doing full details, you would need much less power (1 battery) and much less water (probably could get by with under 50 gallons).

I too agree that the trailer would be the most cost efficient and makes the most sense, but the little astro van held A LOT of stuff and was very reliable.

PAD
10-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a 5 x 8 enclosed trailer. I'll try to post pictures laster today. I made shelves for all my products. I keep all my towels, buffers and various other items in cabintes with drawers.

I have a 100 gallon water tank, which is more than enough for me. I hardly ever fill it up more than half way. My pressure washer is 2400 psi, 2.5 gl/min with 100 feet of hose. The pressure washer is gravity fed, no pumps. I have a 5,500 watt generator.

ghost28
10-20-2008, 03:44 PM
a trailer is a definite NO for me....i already have my boat on a trailer in my driveway....that would mean everytime i wanted to use the boat trailer i would have to jockey things around.....

as far as costs are concerned i will be replacing the trailblazer with the van that i am buying and i will use it as my daily driver as well as my work van so i will be eliminating my new car payment and insurance...new trailblazer $40k used van $12-15K i think it will save me money by going van.....

i have actually found a truck that i like its a 2004 GMC full size van thats AWD and in mint shape with under 20k miles on it...the owner works crazy hours and its like an hour away so its been hard to meet with the guy to look it over...

i also just got an offer to manage a local body shop and i am considering ppacking in my detail company as a full time thing so i dont know whats going to happen....i may still build the van if i take the job so that in case it doesnt work out i dont have to start from square one....

i would still love to see pics if anyone has them.....

ghost28
10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
anyone else have any photos????

Showroom Shine
10-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, I finally took pics of my Detail Truck. I did this loading up for the days details. I have a 60 gallon water tank in the back. I took that pic first. I then added my generator, pressure washer, heated Extractor, wet/vac,and products. I also have a Flex,PC, and Rotory. I purchased this equipment piece by piece. One at a time. Everything is in the truck,including 2 buckets for ONR washes.I also have a tent that rides on top of my water tank for the hot sunny days. It is all fully inclosed.So it can't be seen unless I'm on a job. I back the truck in my garage. I don't have to unload if I'm beat after a day of detailing. The pics didn't come out that great,but you get the idea,I hope.