PDA

View Full Version : Washing - This sounds crazy, but seems to work.

texasdan
08-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I have a way of washing that seems to prevent swirls. I have an 8 year old car and it has very few. I have never used a swirl remover. You can count them individually, so that means something I think.

As I wet it, I look for anything stuck to the paint and loosen it with my finger without rubbing it across the paint. Then I use soak it with foamy soap and let it sit for a few minutes to loosen. I use my hand to very lightly rub any rough spots or area where I know dirt is located (like behind each wheel). I use a flicking, rolling motion so that dirt is lifted, not rubbed across. After the surface feels smooth, I use sheepskin to wash, 2 buckets, etc.

On the hood, I wash out the mit after each swipe, then after each panel on the rest of the car.

My idea is to remove any known dirt before it is dragged across.

dengood1
08-09-2006, 10:25 PM
so basically you're washing your vehicle with your hand? Hmmm---Different strokes for different folks I guess. I say use whatever works best for you. But you're right, that does sound crazy;)

Neothin
08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
You can wash away all that crud with a mitt without scratching you know

;)

BlackCoupe
08-09-2006, 10:54 PM
I have a way of washing that seems to prevent swirls. I have an 8 year old car and it has very few. I have never used a swirl remover. You can count them individually, so that means something I think.

As I wet it, I look for anything stuck to the paint and loosen it with my finger without rubbing it across the paint. Then I use soak it with foamy soap and let it sit for a few minutes to loosen. I use my hand to very lightly rub any rough spots or area where I know dirt is located (like behind each wheel). I use a flicking, rolling motion so that dirt is lifted, not rubbed across. After the surface feels smooth, I use sheepskin to wash, 2 buckets, etc.

On the hood, I wash out the mit after each swipe, then after each panel on the rest of the car.

My idea is to remove any known dirt before it is dragged across.

You can prove this method works by washing my car for the next eight years. I don't mind.

sparkie
08-10-2006, 02:28 AM
You can prove this method works by washing my car for the next eight years. I don't mind.

That works for me too!

Tex Star Detail
08-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Where do we sign up????

Meghan
08-10-2006, 06:51 AM
"Pick ME" LOL

dengood1
08-10-2006, 08:40 AM
"Pick ME" LOL

:D

texasdan
08-10-2006, 09:27 PM
See, I told you guys it sounded crazy. I only use my hand on the places where dirt or grains are located, so its just behind each wheel, on top of the rear bumper, and any spots that I can see when its wet.

I know a mitt will take it off without swirls, but I just can't make myself drag the mitt across stuff that I can see, then wonder if it came out of the mitt in the rinse bucket while I drag it across another section of the car.

BlackCoupe
08-11-2006, 10:14 AM
See, I told you guys it sounded crazy. I only use my hand on the places where dirt or grains are located, so its just behind each wheel, on top of the rear bumper, and any spots that I can see when its wet.

I know a mitt will take it off without swirls, but I just can't make myself drag the mitt across stuff that I can see, then wonder if it came out of the mitt in the rinse bucket while I drag it across another section of the car.

Some folks, me for instance, have several mitts. One I use for the horizontal surfaces, and part way down the sides, and another for around last foot or so of the side panels, and front and rear. This one gets tossed more frequently than the other.

Excessive Detail
08-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Some folks, me for instance, have several mitts. One I use for the horizontal surfaces, and part way down the sides, and another for around last foot or so of the side panels, and front and rear. This one gets tossed more frequently than the other.

I too have different mitts for diffrerent parts, well not so much mitts but I have either a mf bone or sheepskin, depending on how dirty the paint is, for all areas of paint above the trim line, then I use the pinn bug scrub for were all the bugs are, then a another scrub pad for everything below the trim line and wheels.