PDA

View Full Version : Winter Preparation

TOGWT
10-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Winterize your vehicle:
- Apply a polymer sealant and a suitable LSP (Collinite 476 and / or 845)
- Check battery, belt (s) and ignition system
- Add or test coolant and adjust as needed
- Add “anti-freeze" washer fluid
- Install ‘winter’ wiper blades
- Test heater, rear screen defrosters and hoses
- Change oil with suitable winter rating and change oil filter
- Scraper, gloves, sand and snow shovel in trunk (plus a good flashlight)
- Install winter mats to protect carpet
Auto International's "A", "B", & "C" Paint Neutralization System – is a three step neutralization and wash system formulated to remove industrial fallout, rail dust, hard water deposits, acid rain residue, salt and other forms of pollutants, will help to safeguard the vehicle from corrosion.

zaxjax
10-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the tips

Pyrocite
10-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Add blanket/winter sleeping bag during long trips.

robb01
10-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Heres a tip, keep a pair of old floormats in the trunk. Several times ive gotten caught on ice, and had to put them behind the rear tires to gain traction, works like a charm :)

Pyrocite
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
^^ doesnt work for me :(

FWD car FTW :P

hehe jk it works nicely :)

robb01
10-16-2008, 03:13 PM
^^ doesnt work for me :(

FWD car FTW :P

hehe jk it works nicely :)

Well, it works for RWD, for those of us that have to drive RWD in the winter :(

etznova
10-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Great list

r0ckstrWS6
10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
yes great list, thanks for posting

Gary Sword
10-16-2008, 06:25 PM
I find living in south Florida works for me.

tripperfx3
10-17-2008, 03:52 AM
I find having a 400hp AWD car is just flat out fun in the snow! Doing my winter prep tomorrow!

YankeeFan
10-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Winterize your vehicle:
-- Install winter mats to protect carpet
Auto International's "A", "B", & "C" Paint Neutralization System – is a three step neutralization and wash system formulated to remove industrial fallout, rail dust, hard water deposits, acid rain residue, salt and other forms of pollutants, will help to safeguard the vehicle from corrosion.

Two questions:

1. What winter mats are people using that holds some water but my shoes aren't slipping and slidding all over the place?

2. The Paint Neutralization System - wouldn't this be done in the Spring after all the snow and salt are gone? If I did it now, are you suggesting this be done twice a year? Also, how does this compare to Finish Kare's version?

Howard

Pyrocite
10-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I find having a 400hp AWD car is just flat out fun in the snow! Doing my winter prep tomorrow! Where you from tripperfx3? AWD are awesome i wish i had one :) or a 400hp accord.:buffing:

TOGWT
10-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Two questions:

1. What winter mats are people using that holds some water but my shoes aren't slipping and slidding all over the place?

2. The Paint Neutralization System - wouldn't this be done in the Spring after all the snow and salt are gone? If I did it now, are you suggesting this be done twice a year? Also, how does this compare to Finish Kare's version?

Howard

1. I think they are called 'Weather Tech' I'll look it up (I'm in Florida in the winter, were we have to brave winters of 80 oF and some rain)

2. Why leave it until spring, mix melting snow (water) with road salt and it is extremly corrossive.I prefer not too leave it too long

2a. FK and Auto Int are very similar, my preference is for Auto Inte system.

[Edit] Weathertech ™ Premium all-weather floor mats, made from natural heavy-duty rubber., Deeply sculpted channels that trap Water, Road Salt, Mud, and Sand, designed with anti-skid ridges to prevent shifting, won't curl, crack, or harden in sub-zero weather, with non stick finish for quick and easy cleanup, TUV Approved, manufactured to ISO 9000 Standards, 10-Year Warranty

Blade
10-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Weathertech makes 2 kinds of mats. The all-weather mats similar to the OEM types, i.e. flat, made of heavy-rubber and have lots of grooves. Then, there's the floor liners. These are made of thinner type of rubber with less grooves but have 1-2" lips all around the edges to hold in any spill. The floor liners are digitally molded to every dip and bend of your vehicle's floor (providing you get the one one made for it) and they look better than the heavy all-weather mats.

I have the floor liner for my van, and love them. Easy to clean and does the job well of protecting my carpet.

YankeeFan
10-18-2008, 11:19 AM
1. I think they are called 'Weather Tech' I'll look it up (I'm in Florida in the winter, were we have to brave winters of 80 oF and some rain)

2. Why leave it until spring, mix melting snow (water) with road salt and it is extremly corrossive.I prefer not too leave it too long

2a. FK and Auto Int are very similar, my preference is for Auto Inte system.

[Edit] Weathertech ™ Premium all-weather floor mats, made from natural heavy-duty rubber., Deeply sculpted channels that trap Water, Road Salt, Mud, and Sand, designed with anti-skid ridges to prevent shifting, won't curl, crack, or harden in sub-zero weather, with non stick finish for quick and easy cleanup, TUV Approved, manufactured to ISO 9000 Standards, 10-Year Warranty

Thanks for the info on mats will get them shortly.

Regarding using Auto Inte System maybe I am just misinterpreting its purpose, as I never used it before. But it sounds like putting the horse before the cart. If it is done now what is done in Spring when all the snow and salt contaminants are back on the car? Do I redo the System?

Howard