PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaner that won't strip wax?

Pages : [1] 2

Emile
10-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey,

Does anybody have any tire and rim cleaner recommendations from Autogeek that won't strip wax for those of us who wax our wheels?

Thanks,
Emile

charliehaley
10-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Any wheel cleaner will remove wax. Use car soap and water but with waxes they need to be reapplied fairly often.

supercharged
10-15-2008, 09:50 PM
don't use wax on wheels, seal them with synthetic sealant, then just use soap and water to clean them, it should be pretty easy. Reseal wheels as needed - every 4-6 weeks.

charliehaley
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I was under the impression she was using a wheel specific wax. If not using a wheel specific wax then you should use a sealant as supercharged said but you should still use your normal wash soap for longer durability.

Rsurfer
10-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I use AW every 2-3 washes and just use ONR to clean.

tcollins33
10-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I use warm water and car wash soap. This is usually more than sufficient if the wheels are in good shape. I track my car and run BBS wheels and race-spec brake pads - and this process has worked well for me for years.

As for waxing, I use the DP Wheel Wax on all of my sets of wheels (track, daily driver and winter). It helps protect the wheels from all sorts of nasty stuff.

spamlova
10-16-2008, 02:52 AM
I use AW every 2-3 washes and just use ONR to clean.
:iagree:

IMHO, if a mild cleaner like ONR, or regular wash soap can't take off the brake dust fairly easy, you might want to clean your wheels more often. ONR does a good job and is really gentle on the sealants.

Emile
10-16-2008, 08:09 AM
I just apply a coat of Zaino Z-AIO to the wheels about every month. It cleans the wheels thoroughly, provides a nice shine, and makes it easier to clean the wheels during regular car washes.

My problem is really with the tires. I drive off-road for work several times a week and my tires get filthy. I spray down the entire wheel with my foam gun and then I use my wheel brush on the rim and the tire brush on the tire and then rinse everything off but I still see plenty of left-over dirt on my tire side-walls.

sal329
10-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I use ONR to wash my wheels. I try not to use anything more powerful then just regular car soap unless I have to. With my wheels waxed ONR and a MF mitt is all I need. I use either Meguiars NXT tire cleaner or APC on the tires, scrub with ONR and a brush, use an old bath towel and dry

Emile
10-16-2008, 08:34 AM
ONR means what? Optimum No-Rinse?

charliehaley
10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I would try a apc like meguirs and try to only get it on the tires. Im not sure how much effect it would have on a sealant but if you monitor the beading on the wheel you should be able to reseal your wheels when they need it.

robb01
10-16-2008, 02:11 PM
ONR means what? Optimum No-Rinse?
Correct

spamlova
10-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I just apply a coat of Zaino Z-AIO to the wheels about every month. It cleans the wheels thoroughly, provides a nice shine, and makes it easier to clean the wheels during regular car washes.

My problem is really with the tires. I drive off-road for work several times a week and my tires get filthy. I spray down the entire wheel with my foam gun and then I use my wheel brush on the rim and the tire brush on the tire and then rinse everything off but I still see plenty of left-over dirt on my tire side-walls.

ZAIO + mother's powerball mini is AWSOME!:cheers:

Try using EO A2Z tire cleaner, spray on, let dwell and lightly agitate. It works really well.

ScottB
10-16-2008, 05:57 PM
soap and water ...

Smokin
10-16-2008, 07:01 PM
:whs: