PDA

View Full Version : How do I protect this item??

pricha00
10-12-2008, 09:35 AM
I know this may sound anal but its drives me nuts!!!! The lovely japanese lever for the gas tank door is bare steel and it has no protection except for the little plastic cover on the very tip to denote gas filler door. Since we deal with bad weather up here involving salt on our roads this steel gets rusty. I wet sanded it back to shiny again and now how do I protect it from returning to its previous ugly condition? Plus since the lever contacts the surrounding carpet it leaves rust stains on there too. Another reason I want to keep it clean. Any ideas out there?? Am I being too fastidious about this? Should I just give in and let it rust?

Pat.

AUdakota
10-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I would remove it and spray it with some sort of clear coat or even spray paint would probably work. Or you could remove it and have it powder coated.

ScottB
10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
like chrome bumpers, you can use a good sealant to help protect metal surfaces.

pricha00
10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I may try the sealant idea. Paint would be wonderful but I bet you that removal is a PITA. It appears that the attachment point is well back from the exposed area so seat and carpet would probably have to come out.

Pat.

Chris Thomas
10-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Shoot it with a rhino lining type material. They'd prolly do it for free.