PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Cleaner/Conditioner for Nappa Leather

PopSmith
10-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I have been looking into what product I need to buy for conditioning and deep cleaning (well, more than just a damp cloth) the Nappa leather in my '03 Audi A6.

I am not entirely sure if the interior is Nappa but the manual says "Most leather used by Audi is Nappa" and I haven't been able to find anything telling me how to figure out which type of leather is in my car.

Also, the manual doesn't have any suggestions as to cleaner/conditioner other than the damp towel thing.

Anyway, I originally thought Connolly (such as this (http://www.amazon.com/Connolly-Hide-Care-Leather-Kit/dp/B0002LJQMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1223746963&sr=1-1)) was a good choice but I read if the leather is "coated" than it would be better to go with something like this Leatherique kit (http://www.amazon.com/Leatherique-16oz-Kit/dp/B0002SPCBW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1223747030&sr=1-2).

I read to put a drop or two of water on the seat and if it "puddles" or otherwise isn't absorbed by the seat the leather is "coated" and the Leatherique Kit would be a better choice instead of the Connolly.

However, if the water is absorbed by the seat the leather is not coated and the Connolly will do just fine.

Thanks for any enlightenment on this! :D

ScottB
10-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I too thought of Connolly and Leatherique ...

supercharged
10-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I would check out Leather Master, as I can't stand kerosene scent Connolly leaves...

PopSmith
10-12-2008, 01:12 AM
I would check out Leather Master, as I can't stand kerosene scent Connolly leaves...Yeah, I will have to take a look into that.

When I read about the kerosene scent from Connolly on another forum I wasn't too happy, due to not knowing how long it will "last", and thought about Leatherique but wasn't sure if I could use it on what I assume is Nappa leather in my car.

I will keep an eye out and if I don't hear or read anything against using Leatherique on my interior in the next week or two then I think I will pick up some of it as I don't think I would enjoy the kerosene scent left by the Connolly, especially if the scent stuck around for more than a week or two, which I assume it would.

TOGWT
10-12-2008, 05:57 AM
For more information see article “Basic Automotive Leather Care” - ############# a series of informative, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing.

ScottB
10-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I dont feel the smell lingers much at all from Connolly and on uncoated leather is a definite upgrade to most conditioner products. Some products like Zaino seem to allow the scent to last for hours or more and Connollys is gone rather quickly.

PopSmith
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
So I just did a water test to see if my car's leather was coated or not.

I put a small drop of water on the seat and the drop just stayed on the seat, the water didn't get absorbed at all.

So, from what I gather, this means that my leather is coated.

To tie into that, is Connolly still a good choice for cleaning and conditioning my seats?

Sorry to ask again, I just want to make sure the Connolly is going to be a good choice before I go spend $50+ on it.