PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun Rocks !! (questions)

Pages : [1] 2

Emile
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey,

I received my Quart Foamaster Foam Gun in the mail today. I washed the Subaru using my preferred car wash soap (Z7 Show Car Wash) with the Foam Gun and wow, this thing was like 30% better than I expected. It was by far the most entertaining and the most thorough car wash ever!! My car has never been so clean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some questions though:

1.) Can I just fill the soap dispenser with only car wash soap, or does it have to be mixed with water? Directions say to fill the bottle with "liquid chemical concentrate" but I was wondering if just pure car wash soap would be too thick for the unit to work properly??

2.) What is the Deflector for, and where does it go? The instructions show that it's there and identify what it is, but they do not show how it attaches to the foam gun.

Thanks,
Emile

trhland
10-09-2008, 07:07 PM
to much soap will strip wax . i use about 2 ounces of soap and fill container about 3/4 full of water then ..the deflector you dont need...

Blade
10-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm also still new to foam guns. Meg's GC soap requires 1 oz per 1 gal. Since I set foam gun to 4 oz/1 gal setting (i.e. 4 oz from jug per 1 gal from the hose), I put 3 oz car wash to 9 oz water in the quart jug (for a 1:3 dilution) when I wash the van. I use 2 oz car wash per 6 oz water in the jug for my smaller car to maintain 1:3. I get nice thick suds that dwell on the vehicle more than a couple of minutes. The deflector I haven't used it yet.

Chris Thomas
10-09-2008, 08:22 PM
In the tank mix 3:1 water to Optimum Carwash (or any other you prefer), then set the slider to the 3rd hole from the left (4:1). This combo will give you 1 oz per gallon at the car. In almost all ratios for dilution the first number represents water. So in this case, for every 1 oz of shampoo you need to add 3 oz of water. Just do the math for the quantity desired. If you have the gun with the quart bottle, 8 oz of OCWash and 24 oz water to fill it all the way. I have the half gallon tank. To fill it I use 16 oz of OCWash and 48 oz water. You don't have to fill them all the way if you don't want, but since the OCWash isn't harsh you may leave the solution in the bottle for storage if you don't use it all. Another thing that I do when time is a factor is to mix a gallon jug of ready to use solution (32 oz OCWash and 96 oz of water) so that I can just pour it into the tank as needed. If this info is still unclear, let me know and I'll try again.

The deflector is only used if you take the foam wand off. If you were using it to lay down some floor cleaner or something where you didn't need any foam would be the only use.

Oh and you don't have to mix water in the tank, but you'll get better foam if you do. Carwash concentrates are pretty thick and the pickup tube is kinda small. By thinning with water it will flow better and foam more.

Blade
10-09-2008, 09:06 PM
In the tank mix 3:1 water to Optimum Carwash (or any other you prefer), then set the slider to the 3rd hole from the left (4:1). This combo will give you 1 oz per gallon at the car. In almost all ratios for dilution the first number represents water.
Really? Must be restricted to detailing maybe? I took some chemistry classes way back when. I remember when we talked about dilution ratios, it was always written out as the number of "concentrate" parts against the "total volume" parts, resolved to the lowest denominator. Therefore 1:4 is actually 1 part is to 4 parts, where the 4 parts include the 1 part concentrate. But that's college.

In the real world, it was slightly different. It's written out as number of "concentrate" parts against the number of "non-concentrate" parts. Therefore the same example above (1:4) will be written out as 1:3 dilution ratio.

But in both cases, it's always the "1" (the concentrate) written first. Almost never seen it the other way around. Anyways I digress.

Emile
10-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the posts, guys. That's the tricky part about this thing. AutoGeek's site says to use 2-3 ounces of the DP Xtreme Foam and fill the bottle with 6-8 ounces of water and you're good to go, but that's for the DP Xtreme Foam car wash soap. Since that stuff is specifically formulated for the foam gun, a little bit will go a long way.

I was thinking of picking up a 64oz bottle of Meg's Gold Class for like $7 or whatever at AutoZone tomorrow and fill up the gun with 8oz car soap and nothing else. Then just run the foam gun at the lowest setting, which is 1oz/gal (the car wash soap's recommended dillution) and see how that works.

The issue is that every car wash soap has a different recommended dillution ratio and that doesn't even necessarily apply when using the foam gun. Additionally, no two car wash soaps are the same in foaminess.

VISITOR
10-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the posts, guys. That's the tricky part about this thing. AutoGeek's site says to use 2-3 ounces of the DP Xtreme Foam and fill the bottle with 6-8 ounces of water and you're good to go, but that's for the DP Xtreme Foam car wash soap. Since that stuff is specifically formulated for the foam gun, a little bit will go a long way.

I was thinking of picking up a 64oz bottle of Meg's Gold Class for like $7 or whatever at AutoZone tomorrow and fill up the gun with 8oz car soap and nothing else. Then just run the foam gun at the lowest setting, which is 1oz/gal (the car wash soap's recommended dillution) and see how that works.

The issue is that every car wash soap has a different recommended dillution ratio and that doesn't even necessarily apply when using the foam gun. Additionally, no two car wash soaps are the same in foaminess.

IME... the gold class wash (awesome BTW) works great as bucket wash, but not with the foam gun. if you want a great OTC car wash that will give you lots of foam, try the Eagle One car wash (not nanowash & wax)...

buja
10-10-2008, 12:56 AM
yeah i agree with Al too.
I have a full 64 oz GC which I am trying to use up quickly so that I can move on to other products.

GC is well lubed for bucket washing.
while xtreme foam was good with foam with my gun, I did not really feel good as my mitt moved along the paint as it wasnt very lubricating.

i'll stick with xtreme foam for my initial pre foam , then GC for my bucket washing.

that way I can use up the 2 of them quicker, and able to move on to my optimum and cwg which are still unopened and gathering dust in the corner...

Chris Thomas
10-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Optimum foams better than DP for me. The ratios are as you describe as "real world" the 1 should always represent the chemical, no matter which side you place the dilution. The ratio I gave will work for any 1oz per gallon soap. If you need another dilution, I can do the math for you in a couple minutes. I am a bit of a miser, thats why I don't just dump 2-3 ounces in with 6-9 ounces of water. I measure everything to stretch my money. Honestly you can eyeball it and of course it ain't rocket science, but I do it for a living and try not to be wasteful. I like to use Powerclean in mine 5:1 as a presoak similar to P21S TAW, too. Oh, and you dont have to deicate it to detailing, like I said I keep a gallon mixed of 3:1 for quick refills. It's very simple to just dump the unused portion in that jug if I want to switch products.

Meghan
10-10-2008, 06:44 AM
I think if you just put soap in there it will have a hard time mixing in time to hit the car with foam. You will need to put some water in there at least.

Bert31
10-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Optimum foams better than DP for me.

Optimum foams better than DP Xtreme Foam? Never would have guessed that since Xtreme Foam was designed specifically for foam guns.

I like to use Powerclean in mine 5:1 as a presoak similar to P21S TAW, too.

Do either of those foam or do you just use the foam gun to mist it on your car?

keesue
10-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I think if you just put soap in there it will have a hard time mixing in time to hit the car with foam. You will need to put some water in there at least.

This was my experience when I filled up with all soap. I then put in the correct ratio and the foaming was much better. I can't go back to washing my cars any other way now. I mix, connect and spray then sip my beverage and :D

Chris Thomas
10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Optimum foams better than DP Xtreme Foam? Never would have guessed that since Xtreme Foam was designed specifically for foam guns.

Do either of those foam or do you just use the foam gun to mist it on your car?

Yeah, I thought the DP would be better too. I tried the sample that came with my gun and already had the Optimum. The Opt. clings better and the foam doesn't die down near as fast. I actually have foam in the driveway several hours after rinsing it off the car and it has excellent lubricity.

Powerclean (or any non-caustic APC I've tried) foams and bubbles a bit but doesn't get really going like the shampoos. I just use it as a 5 min presoak and it stays put long enough to do what I want it to.

Bert31
10-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I thought the DP would be better too. I tried the sample that came with my gun and already had the Optimum. The Opt. clings better and the foam doesn't die down near as fast. I actually have foam in the driveway several hours after rinsing it off the car and it has excellent lubricity.

Looks like it is time to whip out the credit card again.:D

08 300C
10-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I too used the sample of the DP as directed on the bottle then when the DP ran out I went with the WG Autobathe, I only use it as a pre-wash then followed by the two bucket method and I get great results and LOADS of Foam. It does work on the siphon principle so I would assume the thinner diluted solution would work best.