PDA

View Full Version : Wax comparison: Fuzion, Supernatural, DGPS

Pages : [1] 2 3

RaskyR1
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
A few people have asked me now what I thought of Supernatural compared to Fuzion. So I decided to bust out my black test hood and do a little side by side action. I had a friend who sent me a sample of the DGPS and insisted I try it out too, so I figured I'd throw that into the mix.

Here is what I did.

First I polished out the hood via my Flex and Menz Nano polish to remove wax from previous testing.

Then I tapped off 3 sections about the same size. The hood is from my fathers body shop and has some damage so testing has to be contained to one side. I understand that the curvature and size of the panels are different but I'm working with what I have.

Here is what the test looked like before starting.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/meet/wax_comp003.jpg

Based on the directions of each container, drying times varied, with Fuzion not needing to dry.

Separate applicators and MF towels were used for each wax.

What I found

IMO, all 3 of the waxes were very easy to apply and remove, with a slight edge going to the DGPS.

As far as slickness goes, DGPS was hands down the slickest! SN was second and Fuzion being the least slick of the three.

As far as looks goes, it was pretty much a tie. There was no noticeable difference in darkening between the 3 waxes. I did not do an IPA wipe down after the Nano, simply because it's not something I would do before waxing my own car. I wanted this to be real world testing as much as possible. Had I done the IPA wipe down there may have been a difference.

When I inspected the 3 test panels with my Dual Xenon light I did see a slight edge going to the Supernatural. The paint appeared to be almost liquid and clearer. It made the red flake in the paint stand out more. I had my roommate come take a look too; he has never waxed a car in his life and knows nothing about car care. His observations were spot on with mine. I would like to note that he said he would choose DGPS because of how slick it felt and because of the lower cost. He didn't think paying $200 for a can of Supernatural was worth the minimal difference he saw.

It was already dark last night when I did the testing, so I placed the hood outside today around 12:00. It was sunny with a little overcast but I could see no difference between the 3 test panels.

I have always agreed that the difference between the look of LSP's on a perfectly prepped panel is minimal at most....I just like trying new products and comparing them. :D

My conclusion is tha tall three waxes looked great! I say buy what wax works for you. This was simply my observation. I liked the feel of the DGPS, it is cheaper than the other two waxes, it is said to last longer, it is very easy to use, and it still looks dang good.

I'd also like to point out that all paints are different and IMO, no one wax is best for every finish.

A few pics of this cool paint....I think my father said it was a hood from a Ford SUV.

Dual Xenon
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/meet/wax_comp006.jpg

In the sun
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/meet/wax_comp012.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/meet/wax_comp013.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Rasky

Jimmie
10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for doing that. That was well done and informative.

ScottB
10-09-2008, 04:45 PM
nice test ... cannot wait to hear more. Did you notice any of the sweating/hazing some associate with SN ?? Do you know which version of SN you have ??

RaskyR1
10-09-2008, 05:06 PM
nice test ... cannot wait to hear more. Did you notice any of the sweating/hazing some associate with SN ?? Do you know which version of SN you have ??

Thanks.

I did notice hazing the first time I used it on my car, but I had let it dry for about 45 minutes. I looked at the can after that and it says to wait only 5-10 minutes. I saw no issues on the test panel this time around.

Not sure what version it is but it's in the wodden tub, and I got it about a month ago. :)

It could all be in my mind, being SN is a $200 wax, but I think it made my car look very good. I will try out the Fuzion next week and see if it looks as good. I may use it on my g/f's black RL this weekend. Looking at a test panel is different than looking at a whole car too.

Also...I know on the container of Fuzion is says it does not need to dry but how are most people using it?

Thanks,
Rasky

ScottB
10-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I use my Fuzion just like Souveran , WOWO immediately.

sal329
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
The one time I have used Fuzion I applied it to the entire car and then wiped off. It worked great.
Thanks for the tests now makin me want to try the DGPS 3.0

supercharged
10-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the test. Sounds like application of SuperNatural is a little harder then Fuzion, but I still wanna try it! Along with Rubbish Boys OE.

buja
10-10-2008, 12:51 AM
i still stand by fuzion and dgps .
in my opinion, SN is not worth the inconvenience of waiting , then sweating , and also the high cost.

buja
10-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the test. Sounds like application of SuperNatural is a little harder then Fuzion, but I still wanna try it! Along with Rubbish Boys OE.

im glad they offer the SN sample size. cos I tried it once and hated it.
not to my liking and style of application/removal of wax.
sold it off after my first try. not worth the trouble and money. bleh.

and at that kind of price they are selling for the full size, i'll rather go swiss .

supercharged
10-10-2008, 07:03 AM
im glad they offer the SN sample size. cos I tried it once and hated it.
not to my liking and style of application/removal of wax.
sold it off after my first try. not worth the trouble and money. bleh.

and at that kind of price they are selling for the full size, i'll rather go swiss .
Concorso and Smaragd(best of show) give you Souveran look (from what I've heard), where SuperNatural gives you Mystery/Crystal Rock look with harder application though...

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-10-2008, 07:05 AM
i still stand by fuzion and dgps .
in my opinion, SN is not worth the inconvenience of waiting , then sweating , and also the high cost.

I've used SN on about 15 vehicles with no sweating

RaskyR1
10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
The application of SN was actually very easy, but the DGPS and Fuzion were slightly easier. I only had the sweating issue once, and I admittedly said I left it sit longer than the direction stated too.

Either way they all work very well. :cheers:

heatgain
10-10-2008, 10:42 AM
All these wax tests are very informative and great fun to read. There have been many done and they all came to the same conclusion: no difference in looks when compared side to side. There have been differences in durability, but non in looks.
One thing I have learned is these wax tests are like presidential debates. No matter what happens or the outcome, it changes no ones mind.
If one wants to use a $200.00 or even a $2,000 wax, even a test that might show a wax like Collinite looks the same but lasts longer, that person will still spend the higher money.
I'm not giving any judgment here, just an observation.

RaskyR1
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
All these wax tests are very informative and great fun to read. There have been many done and they all came to the same conclusion: no difference in looks when compared side to side. There have been differences in durability, but non in looks.
One thing I have learned is these wax tests are like presidential debates. No matter what happens or the outcome, it changes no ones mind.
If one wants to use a $200.00 or even a $2,000 wax, even a test that might show a wax like Collinite looks the same but lasts longer, that person will still spend the higher money.
I'm not giving any judgment here, just an observation.

Yep.

As sad as it may sound I got a funny (nice) feeling when driving around with a $200 wax on my car. :D

Waxmax
10-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I have to agree...it is a perception kind of thing. Maybe like wearing a $300 suit vs. a $1000 suit? If it makes you feel better..then it might be worth the extra $$.

I have tried v2 of SN and had the sweating issue..only on the hood after the engine got hot and then cooled down. Also, saw it in the morning for a few days. Solvents/oils still evaporating and leaving a haze. The WG DGPS 3.0 and also 4*Star UPP are right there in look IMO.