PDA

View Full Version : girlfriend software

wagonproject
10-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Subject: What software version are you running?

I'm currently running the latest version of GirlFriend and I've been having some problems lately. I've been running the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 forever as my primary application, and all the GirlFriend releases I've tried have always conflicted with it.
I hear that DrinkingBuddies won't crash if GirlFriend is run in background mode and the sound is turned off. But I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the switch to turn the sound off. I just run them separately, and it works okay.
Girlfriend also seems to have a problem co-existing with my Golf program, often trying to abort Golf with some sort of timing incompatibility.
I probably should have stayed with GirlFriend 1.0, but I thought I might see better performance from GirlFriend 2.0. After months of conflicts and other problems, I consulted a friend who has had experience with GirlFriend 2.0. He said I probably didn't have enough cache to run GirlFriend 2.0, and eventually it would require a Token Ring to run properly. He was right - as soon as I purged my cache, it uninstalled itself.
Shortly after that, I installed GirlFriend 3.0 beta. All the bugs were supposed to be gone, but the first time I used it, it gave me a virus anyway. I had to clean out my whole system and shut down for a while.
I very cautiously upgraded to GirlFriend 4.0. This time I used a SCSI probe first and also installed a virus protection program. It worked okay for a while until I discovered that GirlFriend 1.0 was still in my system.
I tried running GirlFriend 1.0 again with GirlFriend 4.0 still installed, but GirlFriend 4.0 has a feature I didn't know about that automatically senses the presence of any other version of GirlFriend and communicates with it in some way, which results in the immediate removal of both versions.
The version I have now works pretty well, but there are still some problems. Like all versions of GirlFriend, it is written in some obscure language I can't understand, much less reprogram. Frankly I think there is too much attention paid to the look and feel rather than the desired functionality. Also, to get the best connections with your hardware, you usually have to use gold-plated contacts. And I've never liked how GirlFriend is totally "object-oriented."
A year ago, a friend of mine upgraded his version of GirlFriend to GirlFriendPlus 1.0, which is a Terminate and Stay Resident version of GirlFriend. He discovered that GirlFriendPlus 1.0 expires within a year if you don't upgrade to Fiancee 1.0. So he did, but soon after that, he had to upgrade to Wife 1.0, which he describes as a huge resource hog. It has taken up all his space, so he can't load anything else.
One of the primary reasons he decided to go with Wife 1.0 was because it came bundled with FreeSexPlus.
Well, it turns out the resource allocation module of Wife 1.0 sometimes prohibits access to FreeSexPlus, particularly the new Plug-Ins he wanted to try. On top of that, Wife 1.0 must be running on a well warmed-up system before he can do anything. Although he did not ask for it, Wife 1.0 came with MotherInLaw which has an automatic pop-up feature he can't turn off.
I told him to try installing Mistress 1.0, but he said he heard if you try to run it without first uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.0 won't install anyway because of insufficient resources.

mjfx
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
haha thats kinda funny

Matt S.
10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
ahahhaha that is awesome

sal329
10-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Im running version EX

Pyrocite
10-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Just make sure when you have 2 machines (with gf software) they are not on the same network....

Jimmie
10-07-2008, 12:05 PM
lmao, good laugh, thanks.

67Customs
10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Try adding Baby 1.0 to the existing Wife 1.0 and see how that grabs ya. I write this based on my own experiences with the birth of our new child...

First, you find out that you have to install Baby 1.0 using Wife 1.0. After inserting the Floppy, you have to wait 9 months for Wife 1.0 to completly install Baby 1.0. During that nine month install, you have to constantly keep a check on Wife 1.0. It seems like everytime Wife 1.0 boots up, it is a different program. It contantly changes interfaces. The further into the install, the more applications Wife 1.0 prompts you to complete and the more warning you get when they are not completed. However, you generally have to take your computer to a technician that has to help with the final step of the instalation process and that usually takes a lot of cache. I was pretty happy though when Baby 1.0 was finally installed. I even had the whole family come over and check it out.

I find that sometimes when Baby 1.0 is in sleep mode, it will instantly start into a noise making mode without promp or warning. Wife 1.0 will stop any applications it is performing instantly and will start trying to fix Baby 1.0. It doesn't matter how dependant you are on those applications. However, it will at the same time start prompting you to run the applications that Wife 1.0 normally does on its own. Applications that you have never ran before nor are they ones that you want to run. However, if you don't run them, Wife 1.0 starts into a nagging mode and it adds to the Baby 1.0 noise making mode and after a while, you just can't take it anymore before you start pulling out the instructions on how to run those other applications. It is the only way to stop the nagging mode of Wife 1.0 so that it can stop the noise making mode of Baby 1.0. Only then will Wife 1.0 go into idle mode so you can surf the Internet maybe 30 minutes before either application will start running again and boots you off the Internet.

Sometimes at random when Baby 1.0 comes out of its sleep mode, Wife 1.0 will prompt you to manually fix Baby 1.0 instead of taking car of it automatically. Baby 1.0 will reboot itself frequently shortly after you go through numerous shutdown methods (which the order of changes every time you try to shut it down) and then it starts in that noise making mode that you can't figure out. You try to add a plug-in or try to empty the trash that it keeps processing to take it out of noise making mode, but that only keeps the program running quietly for maybe 10 minutes before you have to try and shut it down again.

Also, when you add Baby 1.0 along with Wife 1.0, any limited resource allocation that the Wife 1.0 module would allow to FreeSexPlus completely disapears. You can't even warm that part of the system up to try and find any allocation. And if you thought MotherInLaw poped up a lot before, it pops up even more when Baby 1.0 is added. Sometimes it pops up consecutively with Mom and the only thing that makes them go away is time. Until they do, they are constatly in your face.

I have heard that if you don't take care of Baby 1.0 or Wife 1.0 at any given time, Wife 1.0 with deinstall itself and take Baby 1.0 with it along with any cache you had remaining and any of the rest of your applications that you worked hard to install, leaving only a blank screen for you to work with. I don't think it completely deinstalls itself, though, because I hear it will frequently pop up and ask you to take care of Baby 1.0 and take any cache that you have since added to your acount through some type of monthly support payment virus that you can't block. Apparently, once Baby 1.0 is added along with Wife 1.0, you can't ever get rid them completely. So, I keep running the applications Wife 1.0 promps me to run without question.

:D - I wouldn't trade them for any other applications though. Sometimes Wife 1.0 allows me to visit AutoGeek.net and to use the hardware I purchased from them, so it isn't all bad.

Gary Sword
10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm on wife 2.0. I find her much better then 1.0. When I get another sports car I may have to go to 3.0.

tripperfx3
10-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm on wife 2.0. I find her much better then 1.0. When I get another sports car I may have to go to 3.0.
lol Damn!

Gary Sword
10-08-2008, 09:56 AM
lol Damn!

Not funny :( After wife 1.0 crashed it cost me a lot of time and money to convert to wife 2.0.