PDA

View Full Version : How to apply a pure "topper" w/o full cleaning?

Emile
10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey,

So let's say you have Car A. Car A was washed and dried and then a pre-wax cleaner was used to fully clean the paint (let's assume that's all the prep Car A needs at the moment). Then finally a LSP was applied to the fully cleaned surface. Now let's say you've been driving the car like this for two weeks or so and you decide you want to apply that same LSP to refresh the gloss and protection, and because waxing makes you happy. So you give the car a nice thorough wash but for whatever reason, you want to skip the pre-wax cleaner and go straight to the LSP.

Now I know that a car wash gets the majority of the paint completely clean, but even the most thorough car wash does not get some areas of the paint completely clean, such as underneath the front and rear bumpers, and underneath the sideskirts. Can you just apply that LSP, or won't it just trap any remaining dirt under a new coat of the LSP??

YankeeFan
10-07-2008, 06:45 AM
I think the combibnation of washing and drying will remove the necessary dirt before reapplying an LSP. Also, after the 2 weeks, whatever wax is leftover from the first application I would want to stay on there to build up the LSP.

Howard

Waxmax
10-07-2008, 08:36 AM
If needed, wash under the bumper and side skirts...or just omit applying more LSP there. After washing, I often do the baggy test and as necessary use a light clay (one that will not remove LSP) and then apply another coat of LSP.

twistedframe
10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
FWIW I started to use a paint cleaner when I am going to re-apply wax. I got this tip from another member on the board and would recommend this to everyone. I had been using Megs cleaner wax but stepped up to P21S cleaner and like it alot. I usually don't apply another coat of wax with out paint cleaning unless it's just to add a coat the day after I do the first coat.

akimel
10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
This thread is timely. I recently started a poll over at MOL asking how often folks "clean" their paint before waxing. The poll can be found here: How often do you "clean" the paint? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27390). As the poll shows, most MOL detailers do not clean the paint of their cars as often as they wax.

But like twistedframe, I prefer to lightly clean the paint (claying when necessary) before waxing (every four weeks or so). It just makes sense to me to do this, though I do not know if it is necessary. Meg's Cleaner Wax, topped by my wax of choice, works well for me. I have also ordered Megs #9 to use as my paint cleaner. I'll see how that works. I'm still relatively new to all of this.

Al

Jimmie
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
After a full strip down detail on my cars I'll wax after the next three or four washes.

RaskyR1
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM
This thread is timely. I recently started a poll over at MOL asking how often folks "clean" their paint before waxing. The poll can be found here: How often do you "clean" the paint? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27390). As the poll shows, most MOL detailers do not clean the paint of their cars as often as they wax.

But like twistedframe, I prefer to lightly clean the paint (claying when necessary) before waxing (every four weeks or so). It just makes sense to me to do this, though I do not know if it is necessary. Meg's Cleaner Wax, topped by my wax of choice, works well for me. I have also ordered Megs #9 to use as my paint cleaner. I'll see how that works. I'm still relatively new to all of this.

Al

I voted on that poll.

I tend to wax every other wash, and I don't remove previous wax unless I'm going to be applying a different wax. I do also go over my car with a cleaner wax like M66 every month or so too.

Rasky

akimel
10-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Rasky, wouldn't the M66 cleaner wax in essence remove the previous wax, replacing it with itself?

Al

Emile
10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Typically a cleaner wax will remove any previous coats of wax. If a cleaner wax is applied again on top of a cleaner wax, it will just refresh or replace that coat of wax.

twistedframe
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
A cleaner wax will clean and protect while a paint cleaner will only remove the previous LSP and not offer any protection.

ScottB
10-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I know several that add a layer or two of wax each week after washing and between two detailing sessions with no ill effects. Just make sure finish is as clean as possible and if it appears the look is degrading its time to polish or paint cleanse.

RaskyR1
10-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Rasky, wouldn't the M66 cleaner wax in essence remove the previous wax, replacing it with itself?

Al

Yes, but I only use it like every other month (6-8 weeks). Otherwise it's normally NXT 2.0. :D

Showroom Shine
10-08-2008, 06:47 AM
I keep my Detail Truck very clean all the time. I'm washing it now in the rain! ( Joking) I clay it when the suface starts to feel rough, or the micro does not slide right off when I throw it on the hood. I put Souveran Spray or Poly Charge Souveran on at least once a week.