PDA

View Full Version : Product Help

Pages : [1] 2

Slider99
10-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi all, new to the forum here, novice when it comes to detailing.

I am trying to get my head wrapped around the different products to use, machines to detail with and most important; paint condition!

If anyone can point me in the direction for some reading or help with some direction in this post, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

loudog2
10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Go to the main page autogeek.net. Click the detail how-to tab on the top. There are a bunch of tabs on the side to look at.

sal329
10-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Autogeek has some great videos to watch. Just do some forum and google searching

Slider99
10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone!! My biggest set backs when detailing are knowing how to shine up the paint (I've been lucky, most of the cars I've cleaned are newer), removing stains from the carpets and the nooks and cranny areas.

I will search the site for threads and videos (how to).

ScottB
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
wash --- clay --- polish --- protect

polish step being the most crutial to great paint, gloss, and other factors as discussed above.

Slider99
10-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Since we're on the top of products, could someone give me some feed-back on what I have now please? Maybe I need to add something or change something? Any feed-back is appreciated again.

My inventory includes:

1 Dewalt Circular polisher with quick connector for dual pad use.
1 Misc brand orbital polisher (think its a 4")
1 White wool pad for the dewalt (dual sided)
1 green wool pad for the dewalt (dual sided)
1 green foam pad for dewalt (dual sided)
1 MF bonnet for orbital polisher
2 wool bonnets for orbital polisher
1 Blue claybar (don't know the type)

1 Shopvac from HD 6.0 hp
1 bottle of bright spot stain remover (misc brand_
10 cans of citrus foam stain remover (misc brand)
1 bottle misc carpet shampoo
1 bottle of blue coral car wash
1 bottle cherry bomb car wash
5 cans of foam window washer (misc brand)
4 cans of foam tire shine/cleaner (misc brand)
100 4x4 MF towels
2 Chamois towels
Misc assortments of rags/towels
Misc brushes
Small bottle of paint sealant (not sure the type or how to use it)

Heated Carpet Extractor (borrowed)
Heated Pressure washer (borrowed)

Thank you in advance!

ScottB
10-07-2008, 04:17 PM
your buffer is a rotary and will transfer alot of heat. Tread carefully and practice as this is not as safe as an orbital. Add in a package containing several polishes (Menzerna) and waxes (Pinnacle) and you are ready to detail.

Slider99
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
your buffer is a rotary and will transfer alot of heat. Tread carefully and practice as this is not as safe as an orbital. Add in a package containing several polishes (Menzerna) and waxes (Pinnacle) and you are ready to detail.

The several polishes are for what though?

And different waxes for different colors?

Showroom Shine
10-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Killrwheels is always right on it. Go slow, practice, be careful. Most importantly use good clean pads,and good products. Ask questions too.

Slider99
10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Killrwheels is always right on it. Go slow, practice, be careful. Most importantly use good clean pads,and good products. Ask questions too.

I've used the circular buffer. Usually end up with high spot lines (worse on a black vehicle). Guess I need more practice!

I really like to hand wax though. Seems to be more of an even finish for me.

The other thing that gets me is stains in the carpets. Seems some are able to remove all types of ground in dirt, stains or etc. I hate sand!!!

StephenK
10-08-2008, 11:01 AM
if the Menzerna line of polishes are out of your price range check out the Optimum line. they work well with a rotary. you may want to add some Folex for the carpets.

Slider99
10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
if the Menzerna line of polishes are out of your price range check out the Optimum line. they work well with a rotary. you may want to add some Folex for the carpets.

I just read about the Folex, I guess I can get some at Home Depot?

Menzerna and Optimum are good? I have always used Meguiars. Love the carnuba they offer. What about the Klass All in One?

Slider99
10-08-2008, 02:54 PM
:confused:Btw, What does LSP stand for?

wisemonkey
10-08-2008, 02:58 PM
last step process

robb01
10-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Last Step Product, the very last product you use, typically a sealant