PDA

View Full Version : My review of Menzerna 85RD

nrengle
10-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Meghan was kind enough to send a sample of the 85RD along with the glaze and Sealing Wax to me. So I put the 85RD to the test yesterday.

I got my car back from the body shop for a fender replacement and door repair, so some fresh paint. Well they did alright work, but their buffer guy left lots of buffer trails and holograms, and swirls. So I set to work on the whole car with Wolfgang TSR and a white pad with my Snap On rotary. Being the Nighthawk Black Pearl paint from Honda, it's super soft. To the point of when I was doing a IPA wipe down I would instill marring even with a Supreme 530!

Anyways the TSR did a good job of removing the swirls and some scratches. Still RIDS left, but being I was pressed for time (leaving for Europe in the morning actually for a month), I didn't really work too much on them, just the swirls and holograms.

After looking at the car in the sun though I could see some faint holograming still from the TSR, so instead of using the finishing glaze from the kit I used the 85RD. It really brought the blue flake that's in the paint to the surface and removed the holograming like a champ. I ran out of the sample right when I was doing the rear bumper, so had to switch to the Mirror Glaze from Wolfgang. It did well, but I think the 85RD finishes a little quicker, and wipes up a lot easier.

I then topped with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (except the two painted panels). This really helped keep the gloss and blue flake in the paint pop!

Once I run out of my Wolfgang stuff I will be switching to the full fledge Menzerna line and will definitely be putting 85RD in my arsenal. And hopefully I'll be able to get some Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket to try out with it.

Sorry I have no pics for you, but I will take them when I get home in November when I uncover the car in the garage. Yes it's stored in the garage with a car cover over it. I'm anal about this car, and it's my daily driver too!

ScottB
10-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Menzerna Full Metal Jacket is not made by Menzerna. It is made by a competitor and relabeled under an agreement with Menzerna USA. Neither is the wheel cleaner, nor the spray. Tread lightly Menzerna does offer a wax under the APO designation.

Rsurfer
10-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Using 85rd as a finishing polish, DGPS as a sealant, and Souveran or Fuzion as a LSP will be a winning combo on your black pearl paint.

nrengle
10-03-2008, 03:32 AM
Killr thanks for the heads up, don't think I'll give it a shot then.... Or well not make it a priority to try at least. I have a sample of the APO to use yet, but since it's kinda a cleaner wax, not sure what to put it on yet. I've already put DGPS on everything for the winter before I left for Europe... Maybe I'll redo the Grand Am and strip off the DGPS and Menzerna Glaze (she doesn't like the oily feel of either product on her car)...

Junebug
10-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Two products that don't get a lot of press - Megs 21 2.0 and 1Z Glans Wax. I found those after I tried a bunch of the others including Zaino and for the money - they're hard to beat.

Bert31
10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
[quote=nrengle;200174]Being the Nighthawk Black Pearl paint from Honda, it's super soft. To the point of when I was doing a IPA wipe down I would instill marring even with a Supreme 530! [quote]

Generally shouldn't 85RD be uses on harder paints and PO87 on softer paints? I am asking not trying to state an opinion since I have never used either product but I thought I had read some threads on here making that distinction between the two.

nrengle
10-03-2008, 04:06 PM
It seems to me that people that don't have ceramic clears are still using the products designed for regular clears, just stepping down the pad aggression. As in my case I was using a blue pad with 85RD, which we all know is a wax/sealant pad like the red pad. So if I was using the 87 I'd think I'd probably apply it with a black pad. If this is the case (ceramic and regular CC)

But then again being Honda CC it throws all that out the window anyways cause it's stupid soft as is...

Bunky
10-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I will be trying 1z Glans soon thanks to AG.