PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at rotary

Blake30
09-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Detailed cars 20yrs ago which at that time consisted of washing, windows and waxing. No paint correction. Thought it was time to play around with detailing again. Bought a Makita a few weeks ago as I read this was the way to fix paint rather than cover up blemishes with DA. Went to local auto parts store for pads and polish. Sorry AG!!! Needed them for today.

Purchased Megs yellow Finishing Pad, and Megs #9 Swirl Remover. My mini van has years of neglect being washed with dish soap and a nylon brush leaving nothing but swirls.

Washed with Blue Coral(better than dish soap at least, right?).
Did the #9 on the hood. Removed much of the swirl but still left some. The sun was hitting it just right (or wrong)!! Friend at work pulled out a bottle of 3m Imperial. Used that with the same yellow pad on the hood. Left some hazing/hologram but took some swirls. Went back over with the #9 and same "unwashed pad". Yes I see the error of my ways!! Some small swirls still remained. I assume the 3m left on the pad didn't help much!!!! Looked far better than when started. Did the rest of the van in #9 for times sake.

Used some Megs Gold Class liquid on the hood. That stuff seems a bit hard to work leaving behind blotches. QD rubbed them out. Started to rain so that was the end of the day! Shoulders hurt form working the rotary on the side panels any way!

Found that I started to get the hang of the rotary as time went on. Nice and quiet. Could caring on conversation while using it. Had 8" pads which jumped about at first. Kept speed 1200rpm and under. Only one small burn....on my leg when it slipped from my hands:D Just need more experience with pad and product combos.

No pics of the van. Knowledge of electronics is worse than knowledge of rotary!! Wasn't sure which slot on the computer to put the Polaroid in:D. However, it looked good enough that the 3m friend is bringing in his swirl and scratch ridden minivan into work next day for me to practice on. I think I need more aggressive pads and product maybe.

Thanks for any thoughts.