PDA

View Full Version : Thick Tree Sap advice

jforget1
08-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Did a quick wash of my dad's truck tonight and there were a few extreme sap spots on the hood, these were the thickness of a dime a hard as a rock. Put a bug a tar remover pre-wash gel and hit it with a pressure washer. The sap held up, what can I do to get this off for future reference. I have a PC7424 and a set of Edge2K pads, if they may help.

abrcrombe
08-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't know if this will work but I would try claying it.

sparkie
08-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Go over the spot a number of time with bug and tar remover, seldom it will come off the first time. Or you could use a razor blade to slowly scrape off a tiny layer of sap.

jforget1
08-09-2006, 05:57 AM
Go over the spot a number of time with bug and tar remover, seldom it will come off the first time. Or you could use a razor blade to slowly scrape off a tiny layer of sap.

I was thinking very carefully with a razor may be the way to go. Will give it a shot.

Al-53
08-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Use the plastic razor blades...much safer...also hold a ice cube on the sap and freeze it..it will pop off with plastic razor..then use mineral spirits or some kerosene to remove rest..they will not harm the paint..if you use a metal razor you chance damage to the paint...actually shaving some CC off and deep scratching...even try a credit card to scrape it if no plastic blades...but freezeing it will help...

AL

jforget1
08-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Use the plastic razor blades...much safer...also hold a ice cube on the sap and freeze it..it will pop off with plastic razor..then use mineral spirits or some kerosene to remove rest..they will not harm the paint..if you use a metal razor you chance damage to the paint...actually shaving some CC off and deep scratching...even try a credit card to scrape it if no plastic blades...but freezeing it will help...

AL

OK cool, can I get plastic blades at Home Depot or some place like that? Will also try the mineral spirits.

Al-53
08-09-2006, 08:33 AM
try a body shop supply for plastic razors...maybe AG has them..even a 1 inch plastic putty knife will work...sharpen the edge some on some sand paper...but be careful...be gentle to avoid damage what ever you use...

Al

ScottB
08-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Poorboys Bug Squash removes sap quite well, use it full strength.