PDA

View Full Version : Flex vs Rotary??

Pages : [1] 2

SubyDude81
09-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm in the middle of starting a detail business and have already gathered alot of info, and actual experience with my PC7424 but looking to step up to possibly Flex 3401 but would this be a mistake for a detailer? I mean does not having a rotary make it a bad thing? I read a lot about possible damage to paint with the rotary because it is a stronger machine but can I get the same results with the Flex 3401? Moneys not really a problem here so any option for machine is ok but I just sort of took my PC as far as it will go and if I can cut the amount of time it takes to polish a vehicle I would be looking at a better business.

Rsurfer
09-27-2008, 04:49 PM
You can't beat a rotary for speed and correction, however there is some skill involved. Practice on a junk hood to get proficient.

ScottB
09-27-2008, 05:50 PM
since getting the Flex, I dont even revisit with the Hitachi rotary. Cars are in very nice condition however, might need rotary for a beater.

Junebug
09-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Killr - I used to detail beaters for a used (abused) car dealer. I tried doing the multi-step details and getting the paint as close to perfect as possible. Guess what? 1. Mr. Dealer didn't want to pay for my time and 2. It's a waste to try to perfect a turd. When I get the occasional, car that gets a yearly wash, I wash, clay and hit it with Megs 151 - and that is fine by PC, flex, cyclo..

Rsurfer
09-28-2008, 07:17 PM
If you are going to do this for a living, get a rotary. The pc can be used for light polishing and waxing. IMO the perfect combo would be a flex and a rotary. Use the flex for med and light polishing and the rotary for compounding.

SubyDude81
09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
All these info has got my mind thinking alot......

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-28-2008, 07:52 PM
I would get a rotary, it does everything. Plus you will not have to worry if you have a trouble car to do. The only reason I have a pc is just to use a paint cleaner otherwise everything else is done with a rotary, plus they are not that hard to use. Its like anything else that is new to you, alittle practice and go from there.

SubyDude81
09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Would it be worth it to get the Flex and get a rotary as well? I mean i have the PC but I want to try and open a shop and I guess having the Flex and Rotary would be worth both having so I can use the Flex most of the time and use the Rotary on older and rougher finishes.

Rsurfer
09-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Would it be worth it to get the Flex and get a rotary as well? I mean i have the PC but I want to try and open a shop and I guess having the Flex and Rotary would be worth both having so I can use the Flex most of the time and use the Rotary on older and rougher finishes.It will also serve as a back up in case one fails.:righton:

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Would it be worth it to get the Flex and get a rotary as well? I mean i have the PC but I want to try and open a shop and I guess having the Flex and Rotary would be worth both having so I can use the Flex most of the time and use the Rotary on older and rougher finishes.

I don't see the need for the flex if you are going to get a Rotary and you have a pc. The rotary just isn't for rough paint. The rotary generates more heat and therefore it breaks the polish down better which in turn will give you a better finish.

rwisejr
09-29-2008, 05:21 AM
I have them all and they all have there uses. PC can always be used with cyclo brush to scrub carpets mats and interiors and get into those tight spots where Rotary or flex can't reach . Its always better to have more options. I also prefer to use the pc/udm for Wax and sealant applications.

polishdoc
01-06-2009, 06:45 AM

If money is no problem i would go for both !

I am a pro detailer and i use the Rotary 95% of the time and finish off with the Flex Xc 3401 VRG !

That's why i get repeat business ! You can't go wrong with the Flex !

IMHO Mario

Pyrocite
01-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Get the rotary 1st. Flex would be a nice replacement for PC as stated in previous posts would be a nice addition to your business.

RaskyR1
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
If you are going to do this for a living, get a rotary. The pc can be used for light polishing and waxing. IMO the perfect combo would be a flex and a rotary. Use the flex for med and light polishing and the rotary for compounding.

:iagree:

This is what I'm currently using now. :cheers:

RaskyR1
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM

It's also easier to get a swirl free finish with the FLEX. The FLEX can do far more correction than a PC/G110, but it will take more time than a rotary. If you have the cash I'd say get both. If you have to choose one, then get the rotary. :)