PDA

View Full Version : Clar Bar Frequency

08 300C
09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I need some advice and I know this is the right place as all the assistance I have ever received has been right on. I am under the impression that I can use a Clay Bar with the appropriate lubrication as often as needed , however I have a friend that disagrees, he states it will remove the clear coat and possibly worse. What do you gentlemen and women think?

Not that I am trying to prove he is incorrect, I just don’t want to damage my cars finish.:confused:

Bert31
09-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I need some advice and I know this is the right place as all the assistance I have ever received has been right on. I am under the impression that I can use a Clay Bar with the appropriate lubrication as often as needed , however I have a friend that disagrees, he states it will remove the clear coat and possibly worse. What do you gentlemen and women think?

Not that I am trying to prove he is incorrect, I just don’t want to damage my cars finish.:confused:

Claying will not remove your clear. If you are using a Medium Clay or more agressive, you may mar the clear but claying alone will not remove clear.

It is generally recommended to clay atleast twice a year. I will generally clay every time I am about to reapply my sealant which is about 3-4 times a year. I look at it as though I don't want to seal contaminant to my paint so I clay them off first. Not saying you have to, just I like to do it.

08 300C
09-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks Bert31,
I too was under the impression that so as to NOT seal impurities under the Sealant or Wax it was a necessary step, thanks for confirming.

Rsurfer
09-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Just put your fingers in a zip lock bag and run your fingers lightly over your paint. If you feel grit, then clay. If not, don't fix what's not broken.

08 300C
09-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks Guys BUT is there such a thing as too much claying? Would monthly be excessive, I always feel little bumps and grit a week or so after using clay. I wash at least weekly using WG Auto Bathe, and use the WG Detail Spritz w/o sealant in between.

nrengle
09-25-2008, 08:56 AM
As long as you are using a mild clay I wouldn't see a problem besides that you'll have to reapply your LSP product, and have a little marring depending on CC hardness, and aggressiveness of the clay.

08 300C
09-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks nrengle,
Have the Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar 200 Grams Buy One, Get One Free on order but currently using Megs, not sure how aggressive that is?

TOGWT
09-25-2008, 09:23 AM
How often can detailer’s clay be re-used?
Inspect the clay surface often and fold (knead) clay to present a clean surface to the paint to avoid scratching; when the clay surface becomes really soiled (it becomes more difficult to find a clean surface by kneading, *relegate and use fresh clay. Do not over use a clay bar. Take a 100 gm bar and divide it into 6-8 pieces (this allows you to drop a piece and not have to throw away the whole bar) A mid size car usually takes around 20-30 grams

Also see article - Detailer’s Automotive Clay -http://#############.com/index.php5?title=Detailer%E2%80%99s_Automotive_Cla y

08 300C
09-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks all,
The links are super, I guess it covers most anything, but I didn't see any rating for Wolfgang Clay in terms of its abrasiveness. Would anyone know?

ScottB
09-25-2008, 05:25 PM
average clay (like Wolfgang) about twice annually max. Pinnacles Ultra Clay can be used more frequently as wanted.

08 300C
09-25-2008, 08:19 PM
average clay (like Wolfgang) about twice annually max. Pinnacles Ultra Clay can be used more frequently as wanted.

WOW, thank you so much, I had no idea WG Clay was that aggressive, I almost ordered it on BOGO, this helps immensely. I go with the Pinnacle for sure.:D

Bert31
09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
WOW, thank you so much, I had no idea WG Clay was that aggressive, I almost ordered it on BOGO, this helps immensely. I go with the Pinnacle for sure.:D

I wouldn't say WG Clay is so aggressive you want to avoid it, you just may need some light polishing afterwards to clean up any marring if you have soft paint. I believe killrwheels mentioned twice a year because of the assumption one polishes about twice a year. Pinnacle on the other hand is much finer clay and will not marr unless you paint is just rediculously soft.