PDA

View Full Version : Spots in paint- need an expert.

colonel
09-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I hope this will come thru here. My car has spots all over the front of the car, I thought at first they were dead bugs. So far no polish has touched them. I just used a scothbrite pad on one and went down to the original paint. a few minutes later the spots were back. I am going to attempt to upload a picture here. Never tried this so here goes:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/colonel51/P1010924.jpg

Hoping one of you can give me some ideas of what to do. So far used Megs 105, M 83 and Turtle Wax rubbing compound. Megs were used with a PC 7424, new pads.
I will be doing a repaint on this and do not want these spots to bleed thru new paint. It sat for almost 10 years under a pine tree.

nrengle
09-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Well since you used a Scotchbrite pad on it it's probably pretty scratched, and since you are respraying it, I'd say not to worry, let the body shop prep it properly, and should be all good.

colonel
09-23-2008, 05:34 PM
I will be doing the repaint myself. To me it looks like this is in the original paint below this layer. I want to make sure they do not bleed thru to new finish. I can scrub on a spot until it is completely invisible and in 5 minutes it is back as if I never touched it. You can feel these with your fingernail.

GeorgiaHybrid
09-23-2008, 05:41 PM
colonel,

I think you need to take this area back to bare metal, prime and start from scratch. Does the entire car have this problem? I know how my temper would flare if this was my car and these "spots" showed up on the new paint.... The car would need a LOT of body work done at that point....

colonel
09-23-2008, 06:52 PM
The spots are mostly on the front bumper, some on the front hood and roof. The front bumper has the most spots. On the hood I just noticed that there is a white substance (like mold) on the underside where the spots are on the painted side. The bumper fascia and hood are different materials, bumper is RRIM and the hood is SMC. I can not see the inside of the bumper fascia to see if there are spots on the inside or not, like something is leaching through the material.