PDA

View Full Version : Pad and Polish Comp Combos

Pages : [1] 2

bgray
09-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Just seeing what everyone is using for Pad and Ploish/Compound combos...Does this make good sense

Compounds - Menz Powerl Gloss or M10-5 with ORANGE LCC (What advantage to using a Wool or Foam Wool pad????)

Polish - Menz IP Orage LCC

Menz Nano - White LCC(Some are using Green? Why??)

Glaze - Grey LCC

Finish - -Blue or Red LCC

What do all you use...the are mainly on a Rotary, but also for my PC..

thanks Guys!

sal329
09-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Just seeing what everyone is using for Pad and Ploish/Compound combos...Does this make good sense

Compounds - Menz Powerl Gloss or M10-5 with ORANGE LCC (What advantage to using a Wool or Foam Wool pad????) Wool pads do not get the paint as hot as foam, to me correct better. The only compound I have used so far has been M105.

Polish - Menz IP Orage LCC It is hard to answer this. You need to use a test panel first, see what pad and polish works best. Sometimes IP may not cut it but SIP on a white LC pad will work great.

Menz Nano - White LCC(Some are using Green? Why??) Green is a tad bit more aggressive then the white pad.

Glaze - Grey LCC Grey or blue pad

Finish - -Blue or Red LCC Correct

thanks Guys!

I use only a PC. I am just now tinkering with the rotary. The PC I only use 5.5" and 4" pads. I use the PFW 3.5" pads for spot buffing. I also have only used Menz products once, that was this past weekend. I used SIP with a Flex and a PC 4" and 5.5" white LC pads. Before this my polishes I have used were Prima Swirl and Danase Swirl Abolishers. The SIP to me cuts as well as Prima Swirl. I hope that helps

bgray
09-22-2008, 11:49 PM
With my PC ive pretty much got it down pat..been using it for over 4 years...but really seeing what peoples complete steps are...

I read somewhere about that with wool type pads...I will include some in my next order and see what happens...might as well order a bunch of #### and cover my bases to see what i like the best..

Now with the IP and SIP..why would white work better? Simply because its not as aggresive and wont cut as deep? Virtaully by this step the compound has taken most of the marks out, and we are jsut trying to bring the finish back....so less agressive the better in theory?

TOGWT
09-23-2008, 02:17 AM
See articles - Foam Pads - Foam Pads - ############# (http://#############.com/index.php5?title=Foam_Pads)
Polishing (Paint Correction) - Polishing (Paint Correction) - ############# (http://#############.com/index.php5?title=Polishing_%28Paint_Correction%29)

Bert31
09-23-2008, 08:51 AM

Compounds - Menz Powerl Gloss or M10-5 with ORANGE LCC (What advantage to using a Wool or Foam Wool pad????)

Polish - Menz IP Orage LCC

Menz Nano - White LCC(Some are using Green? Why??)

Glaze - Grey LCC

Finish - -Blue or Red LCC

thanks Guys!

When using a rotary, you will generally get better results with wool/foamed wool than you will with an orange pad. For some reason orange pads don't do as well on a rotary but do fine on a PC so long as you don't use too large of a pad. Generally want to use 5.5 inch pads or smaller.

If you have compounded and broke down the abrasives OK, you could probably use the IP on a German Green or even a White polishing pad to clean up the compounding haze instead of using something as a aggressive as an orange pad.

Note that I said the German Green polishing pad not the one that AG sells, that is not abrasive enough to clean up compounding.

If you want to perfect the paint a little bit more, use the Nano Polish on a Grey Pad. A German Green or white pad can still leave a litte holograming but following up with a Grey pad with a finish polish will take care of it.

After all that if you want, you can glaze with a Grey, Blue or Red Pad

Then finish with a Blue or Red pad.

To sum up, this is what I plan to do in a few weeks on a car I am detailing:

-Compound with M105 on Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool on rotary. If I didnt' have a rotary, I would use a 4 inch orange pad or 3.5 inch Lake Couintry Purple Foamed Wool on a PC or UDM.

-Polish with Menz SIP (very similar to IP) on a white pad

-Jewel or burnish (which ever term you want to use) with Nano Polish on a Grey Pad.

-AIO with a Grey/Blue/Red pad (obviously a clean pad, not the same as used to jewel)

-Sealant with a hand applicator. The sealant I am using just seems to work better by hand than with a PC, not sure why.

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Actually you should jewel or burnish the paint with a blue pad not a gray one. Also the green pad that ag carries works great with SIP, especially after working with a compound and wool pad. Then burnish the paint with 85RD or Ultrafina on a blue pad and you shoould be good to go. Also remember to do your ipa wipe downs after polishing to see how the paint is looking and if the paint is getting corrected.

Bert31
09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Actually you should jewel or burnish the paint with a blue pad not a gray one.

If one is using 85RD I agree but my thinking is, if you are using Nano Polish (which the original poster is), since it abrasives are larger than 85RD, a blue pad may not be firm enough to break down Nano's abrasives but is soft enough not to hologram the paint.

Also the green pad that ag carries works great with SIP, especially after working with a compound and wool pad.

I figured the AG green pad would be too soft to clean up compounding haze. I thought you woundn't want to go softer than the white pad for clean up if you are doing some heavy compounding.

Bert31
09-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Actually you should jewel or burnish the paint with a blue pad not a gray one.

If you were using The Edge line, is the blue faom pad soft enough to jewel with or should one use the white pad?

Also the green pad that ag carries works great with SIP, especially after working with a compound and wool pad.

Using the Edge line, which foam pad would you use with SIP to clean up with, blue or green?

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-23-2008, 12:51 PM
You should still use the blue pad with the 106ff if you are on the finishing step. As far as the Edge pads go I no longer use them since they do not work as well with Menzerna as the LC pads do. Plus all the mishaps with there products that also turned my off from them. If I remember correctly the white is the softest so I would use that as a finishing pad.

bgray
09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
WEll i will just order an array of procuts with this in mind and see what works for me, and what im happy with...its a very subjective question because people use all different stuff!

thanks guys

Bert31
09-23-2008, 02:32 PM
You should still use the blue pad with the 106ff if you are on the finishing step.

I will give the blue pad a try. I assumed a Grey pad was fine to use also, especially with rock hard paint like mine.

Plus all the mishaps with there products that also turned my off from them.

Did they not get all of that corrected?

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I will give the blue pad a try. I assumed a Grey pad was fine to use also, especially with rock hard paint like mine.

Did they not get all of that corrected?

The blue pad will work just fine on hard clear, trust me, my vette has some of the hardest
clears. If Edge did,I still would not want to take the chance, plus like I said above the LC pads leave alot better finish when using Menzerna, also the 3M pads work very well with Menzerna.

Bert31
09-23-2008, 03:05 PM
The blue pad will work just fine on hard clear, trust me, my vette has some of the hardest clears.

Thanks for the tip! I will give it a try.

If Edge did,I still would not want to take the chance, plus like I said above the LC pads leave alot better finish when using Menzerna, also the 3M pads work very well with Menzerna.

I was always under the impression from other posts that LC and Edge did not make their own foam and bought it from the same supplier. They would dye the foam to the color they wanted for that firmness and then "formed" that foam into their desired shapes. But if you can tell a difference in how they react to Mezerna polishes, I guess that is not true.

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the tip! I will give it a try.

I was always under the impression from other posts that LC and Edge did not make their own foam and bought it from the same supplier. They would dye the foam to the color they wanted for that firmness and then "formed" that foam into their desired shapes. But if you can tell a difference in how they react to Mezerna polishes, I guess that is not true.

Edge has said they are the same foam, but alot of people have noticed this also, for some reason the LC and 3M pads seem to work better with the Menzerna products.

Racersky
01-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back from the thread as I have been reading a lot on this forum since the day I signed up. What is jewel and burnish? I'm also thinking about trying to LC Pads with my rotary and what backing plates would you recommend?