PDA

View Full Version : Would you try this stuff??

pricha00
09-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I work in a machining shop that makes valve body parts for GM. We use an industrial cleaner caller Parco MP 310 as a detergent in our parts washer. I would say around 100:1 and it rinses off the light machine oil as the parts come through a big industrial parts washer on a conveyor. Checking the WHMIS data sheet it says ph of 12.5. We are selling an old machine and the gentleman was cleaning 20 yrs plus worth of grease and oil that were caked on this unit. I asked him what degreaser he was using and you guessed it. Our trusty parts washer soap. Mixed stronger of course but he said it cleaned like no ones business. Now I would never let this stuff near my paint but I am considering trying it as an engine cleaner on my old Chrysler van. Anyone got any ideas why I shouldn't give it a shot??

Pat.

charliehaley
09-19-2008, 08:11 PM
I would worry about it on aluminum parts...

pricha00
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
80% of the material being washed is aluminum.Granted the soap is very diluted but why should I be concerned with aluminum? The ph level?

Pat.

charliehaley
09-20-2008, 12:26 AM
If it is used on polished aluminum like what is under the hood of a car without a problem then nevermind. I didn't read your description of what it was used on very well. Just remember that dilution ratios can change ph dramaticly in some chemicals so be careful.

ScottB
09-20-2008, 07:17 AM
I find a good APC is all thats needed to clean an engine compartment. I run the engine for a little heat, spray, agitate, and spray. I worry alot about these stronger products damaging parts and how caustic they are to me when heated.

Jimmie
09-20-2008, 12:45 PM
There is all kinds of paint in your engine bay. 12.5 ph is fairly caustic (7 being neutral). I'd also be concerned with what it does to hoses, belts, wiring. Might get by with it with an immediate rinse, but I'd go with what killr says.

pricha00
09-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Tried it a last night. Mixed about 10:1. Loose greasy dirt came right off as it was hit with the sprayer. Plastic containers like brake fluid, coolant, and WWF clean as a whistle. Also removed lots of stuff from the paint around the shock towers. Motor was still fairly warm so I didn't let the stuff sit, I will try again with cold motor.

Pat.

charliehaley
09-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Did you notice any corrosion or discoloration when dry?

pricha00
09-20-2008, 10:04 PM
I didn't notice any discoloration. I will look closely tomorrow in the daylight. Great cleaner, I just hope it doesn't hurt anything.

Pat.

So.Cal.
09-20-2008, 10:04 PM
The Main thing I would worry about is such a strong cleaner drying out your belts, hoses and plastic electrical connections.

Good luck.