PDA

View Full Version : Damage from high winds on 9/14/

Donald Greco
09-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Some very heavy wind came through our valley from Ike. My wife woke me up to tell me that my car canopy was on the house. She didn't know the leg of the thing was on my Monte. The enameled leg must have been rubbing on my drivers door. There is some white paint and scratches. Should I just try to polish it out or is there something that will get the paint off first, and then try to polish out the scratches.

sal329
09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
You can try some clay first.

charliehaley
09-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Also something like goof off to remove the paint so you can see the extent of the damage.

ScottB
09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
if your fingernail cannot decifer the marks, you should be able to remove with polishing, claying, or wetsanding depending on the marks.

imageautodetail
09-18-2008, 07:28 PM
we got it bad just got power at the house and the shop is still down, I have had to go semi mobile this week and I cant stand it, I am always looking for something, plus I had 12000 pounds of steel dropped on my fingers a week ago so I have two broken fingers to detail around

Pyrocite
09-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Like posted above, try a clay bar first

Donald Greco
09-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Thanks for everyones suggestions. I took some pics of the damage to get some more feedback. I plan on starting this tomorrow.

Wash, Clay, ?????

Pyrocite
09-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Doesnt look that bad, try washing it and claying it. Might have to go over it with some polish after that. What detailing tools will you be working with (have on hand atm, pc7424, flex)?

From the pictured i dont see any dents which is much better than i expected.

Donald Greco
09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I need to clean the area tomorrow to really assess the extent of the scratches. You're right thou, I don't see metal damage just paint so far.
I have a Meguiars G110 and all Pinnacle Products. Thanks for inputs.

bryansbestwax
09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/14550-scratch-removal.html

67Customs
09-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I would suggest using something like Meguiar's ScratchX to remove the paint first so you can assess the real damage to the clear.

See how deep the greatest scratches are. That will help you determine your best course of action for the entire area.

It looks to me like you might have to wetsand, but I can tell all that well by the pictures. I hope just a good polish will do.

Donald Greco
09-21-2008, 05:22 AM
Well, I did a 2 bucket wash with Bodywork Shampoo then dried with Guzzlers.

There was more damage on the right side than was on the left for some reason. Here is right side pics. Will be Ultra Poly Claying, then Finishing Polish, then XMT360, Souveran topper. More pics later.

Donald Greco
09-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Well I got the scratches pretty well blended over and all the white paint off.
It's not obvious anymore and nobody but a serious detailer would notice. The only problem now is how to fix paint on door handle. Would one of those Langka Kits fix this? [by my finger]

also How do I get the big pics instead of thumbs?