PDA

View Full Version : how does this plan sound?

Pages : [1] 2

cougar2588
09-17-2008, 09:09 PM
well i just ordered a Porter Cable 7424, this is the actual kit i bought. i got it from detailersdomain.com as a group buy.

Porter Cable 7424 Variable Speed Polisher
Backing plate for PC
32 oz. Menzerna Intensive Polish PO91E
32 oz. Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA
32 oz. Menzerna Finishing Glaze PO 115C
Einszett Glanz (for your last step)
CCS Orange 5.5 Inch Light Cutting Foam Pad
CCS White 5.5 Inch Polishing Foam Pad
CCS Blue 5.5 Inch Finessing Foam Pad
CCS Red 5.5 Inch UltraSoft Wax/Sealant Foam Pad
2 Uber MF Towels (Blue 16x24)

this will be my first time using the porter cable 7424 (im doing it on my own car dont worry haha) and i just wondering if this is a good plan, if its right, if its to little or if its to much.

Wash Car
Clay Bar Car
Re-Wash Car
Tape off whatever needs to be taped off
Use Intensive Polish with CCS Orange Pad
Use Nano Polish with CCS White Pad
Use Finishing Glaze with CCS Blue Pad
Use Einszett Glanz with CCS Black Pad (it came with a black pad instead of a red one)

it may be a stupid question, but my main question is am i using the right pads with the right products?

Rsurfer
09-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Just start with the least aggressive.

cougar2588
09-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Just start with the least aggressive.

so skip the intensive polish, and just start with the nano polish?

Rsurfer
09-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Depends on what your paint looks like. If there are minor marring, I would use the 106FA with a white pad.

Keith Harrison
09-17-2008, 10:10 PM
1st Menz polishing products rock in my limited experience.

Least aggressive first is right as Rsurfer said...

I bought a flex machine with a similar Menz. polish kit. Mine had SIP/Nano/Glaze.

With a proper polish/correction with SIP/Nano or just Nano depending on your current finish, you do not need the glaze. Glazes typically fill in imperfections and the goal of a good polish is no imperfections. Start with Nano and if additional correction is needed, go to IP and then nano.

Honestly, the glaze in the kit I find irrelevant unless you maybe apply it over time between polishes to fill the inevitable light scratches between full corrections.

Just my 2 cents but I have very successfully corrected with SIP/Nano.

Blade
09-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm a PC beginner too (but have been manually taking care of my cars for 25 years). I just received my AG PC kit about 2 months ago. I followed everyone's advice here, to start with the least aggressive combo. It reduced my swirls but not by much. The following week I stepped it up and removed all of the swirls.

In your case, I'd start with the Nano and white pad on one panel. Then check your results afterwards. Step it up if you're not satisfied. Halogen lights are brutal and will reveal the slightest swirl. I recommend getting a cheap one from a hardware store, they only cost about $20-$30 for a single 500w lamp. The double 500w lamps with a tripod stand are a bit more (less than $50).

Yeah, I'd skip the glaze too on the first attempt. Go straight to the wax after polishing. Good luck!

cougar2588
09-18-2008, 01:22 PM
In your case, I'd start with the Nano and white pad on one panel. Then check your results afterwards. Step it up if you're not satisfied. Halogen lights are brutal and will reveal the slightest swirl. I recommend getting a cheap one from a hardware store, they only cost about $20-$30 for a single 500w lamp. The double 500w lamps with a tripod stand are a bit more (less than $50).

Yeah, I'd skip the glaze too on the first attempt. Go straight to the wax after polishing. Good luck!

im a step ahead of you haha. i already bought a double 500w lamp on a tripod from home depot along with a RIDID wet/dry vac.

so from what i've taken from this thread this should be my new plan:

Wash
Clay Bar
Re-wash
Tape Off whatever needs to be taped off
Nano Polish with the CCS White Pad
Einszett Glanz Wax with the CCS Black Pad

thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it.

Rsurfer
09-18-2008, 07:08 PM
im a step ahead of you haha. i already bought a double 500w lamp on a tripod from home depot along with a RIDID wet/dry vac.

so from what i've taken from this thread this should be my new plan:

Wash
Clay Bar
Re-wash
Tape Off whatever needs to be taped off
Nano Polish with the CCS White Pad
Einszett Glanz Wax with the CCS Black Pad

thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it.
I would go one step further and do a final polish with 106 and a black pad. This will give you that extra gloss before using your Einszett Glanz Wax.

cougar2588
09-18-2008, 07:41 PM
I would go one step further and do a final polish with 106 and a black pad. This will give you that extra gloss before using your Einszett Glanz Wax.

the nano polish i was talking about is the 106. so basiclly what ur saying is do the 106 with the white pad, then do the 106 again with the black bad, then do the einzsett glanz wax with a black pad too?

just to clarify this, im not really expecting to get all of the swirls out since its my first time and im not attacking the paint with a very aggressive compound/pad. the whole point of this detail i have planned is to just get a good majority of the swirls out the first time around and to start getting comfortable with the PC 7424.

Rsurfer
09-18-2008, 09:36 PM
If you are going to polish again then skip the 106/black pad step. This is used on a well polished paint to give it that extra gloss before sealing or waxing or both. What I dont understand is if you polished the whole car you should have the feel of the pc. Why not do 1 or 2 panels at a time and get all the swirls out instead of wasting your time and product doing a half a** job. You don't have to polish to perfection in one afternoon.

cougar2588
09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
If you are going to polish again then skip the 106/black pad step. This is used on a well polished paint to give it that extra gloss before sealing or waxing or both. What I dont understand is if you polished the whole car you should have the feel of the pc. Why not do 1 or 2 panels at a time and get all the swirls out instead of wasting your time and product doing a half a** job. You don't have to polish to perfection in one afternoon.

i do agree with you when u say i should just focus on one panel at a time and do slowly good job instead of just doing half a job. so if i were to start with the nano polish (the 106) and a white pad, and it doesnt get the job done, i would have to do a pass with the IP and an orange pad correct? and then after i am happy with the swirls removed i could then move onto the wax.

im sorry if im asking what seems to be dumb questions to you, im just really new to this stuff and i dont want to go at my car with this buffer and end up making a mistake when i can prevent making one by asking the right questions.

Rsurfer
09-18-2008, 10:25 PM
No problem, there are no dumb questions. It's only dumb when you dont ask. If the 106 and white pad dont do the job then I would move up to the IP with a white pad. If this works then move down to 106 with a white pad. Use the black for final polishing. BTW I use 87MC for final polish. It has less cut and really brings out that final gloss. Some like 85RD for final polishing.

Rsurfer
09-18-2008, 10:34 PM
BTW IP with an orange pad is pretty aggressive. You will probably get micro marring from that combo and need to finish down with 106 and a white pad.

cougar2588
09-18-2008, 10:39 PM
well the problem is i have to work with what i have for now until i can get another order of pads in since what i listed in my first post is basically all i have when it comes to pads for now.

what if i did a nano with a blue pad, if that didnt work, moved up to the IP with a white pad, then go back down to re-polish with the nano/blue pad, then finished it off with the wax/black pad? or am i just compromising to much lol...

Rsurfer
09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
If you have light swrils start with 106 and a white pad and then finish off with 106 and a black/blue pad, then lsp. If 106 and a white pad doesnt cut it move up to an orange pad and 106. If that doesnt get the swrils out move up to IP/white or next step up IP/orange.