PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun really work?

Pages : [1] 2 3

YankeeFan
09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I wanted to start using a foam gun since I just polished. Used it yesterday. The car was somewhat dirty from all of Hanna's rain but nothing too bad. I wet the car, foamed it with 1 oz. of DG soap (shook the gun bottle to mix) and shot foam all around on the highest foam setting till it ran out. Let the soap sit for about 30-45 seconds and rinsed it well, especially in areas I saw dirt (i.e. top of back bumper where it always accumulates). As a test, when I washed, just to see how much dirt was still on the car I didn’t empty out the rinse bucket midway. When I did empty it, there was still a pretty fair amount of dirt. Do you find the foam gun to really do enough to help prevent swirls? I know it's not going to replace washing with a mitt but I was hoping for more dirt to fall off prior to cleaning.

Howard

trhland
09-16-2008, 12:06 PM
i always use a foam gun . i think it helps ...

Emile
09-16-2008, 12:10 PM
The foam gun isn't going to do a touchless car wash for you, if that's what you're asking. You still need to pull out the old wash mitts and buckets. Without any scrubbing from a wash mitt, most of the dirt is still going to remain on the vehicle.

I think the foam gun looks awesome, though. It's like being 5 years old again and playing with bubbles.

twistedframe
09-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I love my foam gun. Even if I am doing a wash with Dawn or Chemical Guys Citrus wash to remove LSPs for a full detail, I still use the foam gun at least for a pre-soak. But like it was said you do still have to use a wash mitt to wash the car. Still worth it in my opinion though.

Meghan
09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Yes it helps, but no it is not going to omit you having to use a mitt or sponge.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCF1302.JPG

VISITOR
09-16-2008, 12:34 PM
the foam gun is great! not only can you use it as a pre-soak, you can also use while washing (serves 2 purposes), and you can't do that with a foam cannon/lance. i haven't regretted purchasing a foam gun one bit...

YankeeFan
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes it helps, but no it is not going to omit you having to use a mitt or sponge.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCF1302.JPG

I've seen this in video too, does anyone do this on a regular basis? Seems kind of awkward to do unless you wear a raincoat. Does anyone do their entire car using solely the gun and mitt comibination? Would this be a one bucket method where you would only need a rinse bucket? Interesting idea as there would be continuous lubrication and the constant flow of soapy water would wash away loosened dirt.

Howard

twistedframe
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I've seen this in video too, does anyone do this on a regular basis? Seems kind of awkward to do unless you wear a raincoat. Does anyone do their entire car using solely the gun and mitt comibination? Would this be a one bucket method where you would only need a rinse bucket? Interesting idea as there would be continuous lubrication and the constant flow of soapy water would wash away loosened dirt.

Howard
Honestly it all depends on what I am trying to do. If I know I am going to do a full detail I will only use the foam gun to pre-soak and then use the regular two bucket method with a soap used to strip the LSP. Otherwise its pretty much up to you. It can be awkward to use the gun followed by the mitt but it works great once you get the hang of it.

YankeeFan
09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Honestly it all depends on what I am trying to do. If I know I am going to do a full detail I will only use the foam gun to pre-soak and then use the regular two bucket method with a soap used to strip the LSP. Otherwise its pretty much up to you. It can be awkward to use the gun followed by the mitt but it works great once you get the hang of it.

Do you use the attachments as shown in the pic? Also, are you using the smaller or larger bottle? Reason I ask is, can you clean with the gun/mitt combination with one full bottle or do you need to refill?

Thanks for the help, maybe I'll give this a whirl on Saturday.

Howard

Matt S.
09-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Holy crap I was fat in that picture....Meghan we need to do a re-shoot :D

budman3
09-16-2008, 01:53 PM
The foam gun will begin to loosen up the dirt and grit before a traditional wash. It'll also provide lubrication so you don't rub your washing media directly onto the paint and dirt, which could cause marring. It's another preventative thing that you may not notice a difference right now, but in the long run ...

08 300C
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I have never used the Gun/Mitt method, always the gun as a pre-wash then the two bucket method. I wouldn't want the tip of the gun or the hose to mar the paint when I am not paying attention. Guess some of us are just not coordinated enough, YES I do have issues chewing gum and walking too.:D

pricha00
09-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Holy crap I was fat in that picture....Meghan we need to do a re-shoot :D

Oht thank God, I thought maybe that was a pic of Meghan....LOL

Pat.

Buddy
09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Oht thank God, I thought maybe that was a pic of Meghan....LOL

Pat.

That was very funny but I think you will be getting in trouble for that one!!!

pricha00
09-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I will apologize in advance, with that side shot, loose shirt and sunglasses on quick glance it could be a woman. I was just kidding Meghan and Matt. You two are always quick to reply to questions, no harm intended here. Just some good fun.

Pat.