PDA

View Full Version : Well... I may lose the Charger.

Pages : [1] 2

DS Detailer
08-06-2006, 08:50 PM
With my most recent promotion at work... I now have to travel 44 mile to work... and the 104 bucks a week in gas is killing me. So I may trade it in when the New Jeep Patriot comes out. I'm not 100% sure, but I shall see.

FloridaNative
08-06-2006, 08:53 PM
OH!! That sucks! I hope you don't have to trade it. But a promotion is a good thing. Congrats on that! :cheers:

Tex Star Detail
08-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I know the feeling. I traded in my Grand Prix for my Chevy Trailblazer EXT. A few weeks after the purchase, gas prices sky rocketed. Curently, I am shelling out between 60-75 a tank......

abrcrombe
08-06-2006, 09:18 PM
:( give it to me. Not sell. :p Sucks man!! What do you think you are going to get to replace it? Staying domestic??

Rapidity
08-06-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm not giving up the vette until there is no gas left in the USA. lol

Neothin
08-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I <3 internal combustion

supercharged
08-07-2006, 01:12 AM
How much money are you gonna save travelling on a Jeep?

Surfer
08-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Honestly, buying a new car for gas mileage usually doesn't make sense (unless your looking at long term), figuring in the cost of the new car, depreciation again etc. My ex-gf had a new manual trans Civic. Her car saved barely under a thousand dollars for the year for gas and she did mainly highway driving, I'm mostly city driving in a heavy V8 suv.

Whats funny is some of my buddies that have like Jettas, or other small cars that take premium gas. Yeh they get better gas mileage, but they cost basically as much to fill up as my suv now using preimum gas lol. Kinda negates the gas mileage savings. Especially with premium being a lot more then regular here.

Rapidity
08-07-2006, 08:13 AM
20 cent isn't really that much more than whatever regular cost... not in the long run.

wytstang
08-07-2006, 09:37 AM
What that car needs is a diet plan and more muscle. The easier it is to move it the less gas it uses, What you don't need toss it out. Toy with tire pressure and free up the exhaust; I would see what the aftermarket has to offer as far as bolt ons that you could do yourself.

Surfer
08-07-2006, 09:48 AM
What that car needs is a diet plan and more muscle. The easier it is to move it the less gas it uses, What you don't need toss it out. Toy with tire pressure and free up the exhaust; I would see what the aftermarket has to offer as far as bolt ons that you could do yourself.Yup, dual exhaust and intake on my V8 truck, getting almost 17 mpg city. Some sedans barely get that. Getting about 22 mpg highway at 75. My other V8 truck had a lot more done with headers, tuned etc. It was even better on gas. Though I did none of that stuff for better gas mileage, moreso for the rumbling sound and performance increase:D

P1et
08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
How about a nice diesel engined vehicle? You cannot beat the milage on those things...

abrcrombe
08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
and you can use refined cooking oil to run them!

emaxxman
08-07-2006, 02:00 PM
With my most recent promotion at work... I now have to travel 44 mile to work... and the 104 bucks a week in gas is killing me. So I may trade it in when the New Jeep Patriot comes out. I'm not 100% sure, but I shall see.

$104?! Ouch. I get 30mpg's on my 98 Accord. I drive 40 miles one way. I spend ~$50 a week. I didn't think the Charger was that much worse. I was looking at one to replace my Accord but now I'm not sure.

I will say that I don't think the Jeep will be much better to make it worth it. What is the diffrerence in gas costs between the 2 vehicles?

I would also look at how you drive the car. Less aggressive driving may help out too. More cruise control on long highway stretches, less jackrabbit starts, and earlier braking shouild help.

It would really suck for you to have to give up the Charger. It's definitely a sweet car. My first car was an 85 Charger (it was the crappy hatchback that was no where near a musclecar.) Regardless, I've always liked the Chargers.

Meghan
08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Keep the charger get a motorcycle for the commute!:applause: