PDA

View Full Version : New to forum; products questions

John in VA
09-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Greetings! I'm new to the forum and machine polishing, just recently purchasing a PC 7424. It came with a number of pads & polishes, so I hope to put it to use soon. I've been maintaining my cars by hand for the past 20+ years.

I've read many old posts, and have learned quite a bit from others' experiences, but have so much more to learn.

I'll be practicing on my '85 BMW Arktisblau 325e, and after gaining proficiency try to keep my wife's like-new '00 Fern green 328i looking like new, as well as my daily driver, an '86 Delphin 535i. My "baby" is a '74 2002tii, with single-stage Chamonix paint - hope to have it looking like glass!

For AC/heating system maintenance, can someone comment on the Wurth treatment vs. Einszett Klima cleaner vs. BG Frigi-Fresh or Frigi-Clean? I was hoping to spray a product into the area at the base of the windshield of the E46 when replacing the microfilter. Some of these are to be sprayed into the interior vents.

Opinions on Mother's Powerball vs. Flitz Polish Ball? I use Flitz (by hand) on my tii's polished aluminum bumpers (no clear coat). No matter what I use to buff the black oxidation off leaves fine scratches. Thought one of these could help obtain that mirror finish.

Pinnacle Leather Cleaner/Conditioner is presently on sale (BOGO). The gray leather in the E46 seems so "delicate" vs. my E28. I want to keep it looking new & soft, but if the Pinnacle isn't preferred, 2 bottles is no bargain!

Thanks for your time,
John in (northern) VA

Wendell Jarvis
09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
If you have access to a older or used car, use that as practice with your PC 7424 ( by the way, great choice) until you get used to it and to know the machine, its quite simply put a great machine, as for overwhelming ( pads and so forth( Lake Country, I have several pads of each color, Yellow,Orange and so on) as for Waxes and Polishes,Compounds and Sealants, there are allot of them out there, Here are some that I know from experince that are fantastic and you cannot go wrong with, Pinnacle products,Wolfgang and some of Meguiars products ( kinda a hit and miss) but all in all, a great product too !!

Meghan
09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
For AC/heating system maintenance, I like using Clean Air! Does not leave any order behind.

If doing wheels you can't really go wrong with Mothers or Flitz, just make sure you get the smaller ones, easier to work with when doing the wheels.

Pinnacle Leather Cleaner/Conditioner is great stuff, but if your seats are in bad shape I would just get the Pinnacle Conditioner instead of the combo.

Jim D.
09-16-2008, 12:01 AM
On the wheel polish, you want to work lightly with a microfiber applicator or towel (or the PowerBall).

Use a clean microfiber towel to gently remove the product before it dries. Work in sections if necessary to keep the product from drying. If you're introducing marring, you're working it too hard.

The PowerBall is for application of polish -- not for removal. It works great depending on the design of the wheel, and can save a lot of time and effort.

I have a Flitz and am not keen on it. The PowerBalls are great, in my opinion.

sal329
09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Welcome to AGO

Greetings! I'm new to the forum and machine polishing, just recently purchasing a PC 7424. It came with a number of pads & polishes, so I hope to put it to use soon. I've been maintaining my cars by hand for the past 20+ years. What size and color pads?

I've read many old posts, and have learned quite a bit from others' experiences, but have so much more to learn.

I'll be practicing on my '85 BMW Arktisblau 325e, and after gaining proficiency try to keep my wife's like-new '00 Fern green 328i looking like new, as well as my daily driver, an '86 Delphin 535i. My "baby" is a '74 2002tii, with single-stage Chamonix paint - hope to have it looking like glass!

For AC/heating system maintenance, can someone comment on the Wurth treatment vs. Einszett Klima cleaner vs. BG Frigi-Fresh or Frigi-Clean? I was hoping to spray a product into the area at the base of the windshield of the E46 when replacing the microfilter. Some of these are to be sprayed into the interior vents. Einszett Klima Cleaner

Opinions on Mother's Powerball vs. Flitz Polish Ball? I use Flitz (by hand) on my tii's polished aluminum bumpers (no cleae coat). No matter what I use to buff the black oxidation off leaves fine scratches. Thought one of these could help obtain that mirror finish. I have only used Mothers Powerball. You can try some Meguiars 105 by hand with a terry cloth or foam applicator, then use Duragloss 501 with foam applicator,

Pinnacle Leather Cleaner/Conditioner is presently on sale (BOGO). The gray leather in the E46 seems so "delicate" vs. my E28. I want to keep it looking new & soft, but if the Pinnacle isn't preferred, 2 bottles is no bargain! I would take advantage of the BOGO but the first time I clean the leather I would use Woolite/water mix 10:1 to clean the leather then top with a good conditioner (I like Four Star Conditioner), after that you can use the Pinnacle cleaner/conditoner bi weekly.

Thanks for your time,
John in (northern) VA