PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Hid Kit

Pages : [1] 2

racscar
09-15-2008, 09:29 AM
I need some information about cleaning hid lights. What is the best way to clean xenon hid lights ?

Matt S.
09-15-2008, 09:36 AM
What are you asking? How would one "clean" an HID kit in the first place?

GeorgiaHybrid
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Matt,

The same person posted over on Green Hybrid. I asked them the same question and they never have answered. It was the first post for this person on both forums.

Emile
09-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Use an All-Purpose non-abrasive cleaner such as Simple Green.

I think the poster is asking how to clean the HID ballasts and the wiring in the engine bay.

GeorgiaHybrid
09-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Emile,

The ballasts and igniters on some of the kits out of China are water resistant to a point but they are not water proof. The better kits are completely water proof but this is one of those safe instead of sorry questions.

I had to ask them though after talking to a guy over on a other forum that wanted to "clean and polish" the BULB. He wanted to paint it to get a a red tint instead of a blue tint.....

One wonders about the state of the education system in this country.....

Meghan
09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Matt,

The same person posted over on Green Hybrid. I asked them the same question and they never have answered. It was the first post for this person on both forums.

Appears by his signature (I have now deleted it) that he was here to sell the kits. So I would say we were looking at...:spam

GeorgiaHybrid
09-15-2008, 01:59 PM
LOL,

Do you know the difference in a pitbull and a hard nosed moderator?

Lipstick....

Meghan
09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
LOL,

Do you know the difference in a pitbull and a hard nosed moderator?

Lipstick....

Hey no picking on the mod, she is a nice lady, really, she is ....:p

Emile
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Emile,

The ballasts and igniters on some of the kits out of China are water resistant to a point but they are not water proof. The better kits are completely water proof but this is one of those safe instead of sorry questions.

I had to ask them though after talking to a guy over on a other forum that wanted to "clean and polish" the BULB. He wanted to paint it to get a a red tint instead of a blue tint.....

One wonders about the state of the education system in this country.....
Cool, thanks for the heads-up, GeorgiaHybrid.

ScottB
09-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I knew it was spam even prior to reading the post. And all aftermarket HID kits are still considered illegal for use on roadways. Tread carefully and buy OEM when possible.

supercharged
09-15-2008, 10:49 PM
I knew it was spam even prior to reading the post. And all aftermarket HID kits are still considered illegal for use on roadways. Tread carefully and buy OEM when possible.
yeah, unfortunately...it's the reflector that just isn't made for HID xenon...very difficult to aim them right...

08 300C
09-16-2008, 02:16 PM
This does bring to mind a question I'll bet my buddies here can answer, I have heard that all HID equipped autos in Europe must have the little headlight squirters installed, not sure if this is a fact or not BUT if it is why would that be? My car is American Made (well as much as expected now days) and is factory equipped with HIDs but no squirters. Just curious

ScottB
09-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Cadillacs with the xenon lights have the squirters also ...

nrengle
09-16-2008, 05:01 PM
They probably have the squirters to help get bugs and such off of them. Don't the HID lights get stupid hot anyways? So I'd think it's there to help keep from cooking that grasshopper or lovebug that just became close friends with the front of your headlight.

steelwind101
09-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Indeed in the EU all cars with hids must have cleaners. The main HID bit is often easily covered with dirt. Unlike alot of older lights where you had a big lamp area with a refector. Alot of new cars which are HID only have smaller light housing, they become dirtier quicker i suppose?