PDA

View Full Version : Hubcap/wheel cleaning

PontiacMan
09-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I was going to clean up my in-laws car for them this weekend. It's a Ford Crown Vic in pretty nice shape. Anyways, it has those chrome looking hubcaps on it. It has not been well taken care of as far as cleaning and the such. The hubcaps have a HUGE amount of brake dust in them...of course in all the little crevices as well lol. Anyways, what is a good way to get rid of this dust, to break it down or whatever.

Just for the heck of it to see how hard it was, I scrubbed them a bit and used some kind of wheel cleaner (auto zone type stuff) and the majority of the brake dust didn't budge a bit. Some of it you can even scape a little bit with your fingernail and it won't come off lol.

What would you all suggest to try and clean up these hubcaps?

Emile
09-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Spray that onto the rims, let it sit for 10 seconds. Then break out a Mothers PowerBall hooked up to your drill, and while the wheel cleaner is still sitting there and powerball that crap off and then rinse off. I have found that repeating this application several times will work on cars with really old brake dust; a brake dust brush or wheel brush with some nice vigorous scrubbing will work also.

nrengle
09-14-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm not positive, but maybe try some Megs Wheel Brightener, never used it myself, but hear rave reviews about it. Check with the everyone that's a little more familiar with it on here first.

ScottB
09-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Poorboys Spray and Rinse is about as harsh as I would suggest. Most wheel cleaners should work with a little agitation from a soft sponge or brush.

PontiacMan
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Ok, thanks for all of your input!! I appreciate it.

sal329
09-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I always first try a car soap and brushes. If I need a lil more I go with an APC or Meg All wheel cleaner and brushes.