PDA

View Full Version : So i'm done with detailing

Pages : 1 [2]

snomon1017
08-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I dont agree , well not AFTER school is done. Nobody ever asks for anything more than the paper. Show me the degree, and then you make the $$$.

AFTER SCHOOL - too, too, too true. But as for getting INTO a graduate program . . . that's what i'm talking about. I was on an admission committe for a PhD program at a University in CA and the #1, first thing we looked at (for better or worse) was GPA. If you didn't meet the cutoff, there was no going further. As for your graduate program, my perspective is: just pass. Because from here on, there is no more applications to higher programs. Once you've graduated, then it REALLY doesn't matter. In many, if not most, cases, it doesn't even matter where you went to school (so long as it wasn't one of those fly-by-night, order your diploma by email schools). Of all the degrees I have, my PhD was BY FAR the easiest because the pressure was passed.

emaxxman
08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
AFTER SCHOOL - too, too, too true. But as for getting INTO a graduate program . . . that's what i'm talking about. I was on an admission committe for a PhD program at a University in CA and the #1, first thing we looked at (for better or worse) was GPA. If you didn't meet the cutoff, there was no going further. As for your graduate program, my perspective is: just pass. Because from here on, there is no more applications to higher programs. Once you've graduated, then it REALLY doesn't matter. In many, if not most, cases, it doesn't even matter where you went to school (so long as it wasn't one of those fly-by-night, order your diploma by email schools). Of all the degrees I have, my PhD was BY FAR the easiest because the pressure was passed.

Absolutely agree. For better or worse, GPA is the only objective criteria to judge someone by for any programs. I used to recruit college grads for my company. GPA was the first thing we looked at. We also looked at experience (internships, etc.) but not many people had enough good experience to offset a low GPA.

And yes, after you've been the workforce for 3-5 years, it's all about experience. Your GPA and college degree prove to employers that you have the capacity to learn. Your experience shows that you've been able to harness that ability to learn and be productive. If you have a 4.0 GPA, been out of school 5 years, and have no experience to show, your might as well have flunked out in my mind.