PDA

View Full Version : how to clean plastic "chrome grills"

wkl01
09-09-2008, 10:31 PM
WHat's the best way to clean the "chrome" plastic grills of a car. I've tries cleaning them with soap but it still has spots. It's not raise. It's almost like its impregnated into the chrome.

dublifecrisis
09-10-2008, 09:48 AM
bump bcuz although I have my own theories on this, I'd like to hear from the pros. I would treat the spots like any other with either vinegar, or a cleaning type AIO by hand.

Jimmie
09-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I know what not to do. There are two chrome strips over the top of our Maxima that I keep polishing with Simichrome. It only lasts a couple of weeks and then back to very dull, discolored.
Oh, the thin blue Mother's Chrome polish didn't touch it either.
Seems like there should be something.

ScottB
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
AIO is a great starting point, like Klasse. A couple coats of a pure sealant on these areas when new helps tremendously.

dublifecrisis
09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
yeah we're not talking real chrome here. it's just cheap painted plastic right? it spots easily but it seems to clean up nice with a mild polish. i mentioned an AIO just because I would think a durable sealant would help it to keep the shine longer and clean up easier in future washes.

ScottB
09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I use the walkaways after Klasse AIO .... Zaino CS, or Optiseal from Optimum. They seem to protect these areas well and dont streak badly.