PDA

View Full Version : How do I know polish is broken down when using the PC?

Pages : [1] 2

TSIFREAK
09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I have never used the PC 7424 and would like any tips you guys could give me.
Mainly is how do you know the polish is broken down when polishing and how big of an area do I want to concentrate on? Half the hood? 1/4 hood for example. Thanks guys.

Rsurfer
09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Do a 2'X2' section at a time. Run your pc slowly over the paint (2" per sec.) When the polish turns transparent it should be broken down. This usually takes 4-5 minutes using a pc on speed 6. Every polish reacts differently to the temperture, humidity etc.

TSIFREAK
09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Thank you to the geek from Hawaii!!

Jimmie
09-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Do a 2'X2' section at a time. Run your pc slowly over the paint (2" per sec.) When the polish turns transparent it should be broken down. This usually takes 4-5 minutes using a pc on speed 6. Every polish reacts differently to the temperture, humidity etc.

:iagree: and another trick is to look through the polish. Hard to discribe. It should go from looking like a paste to a talc that you can see corrected paint through. Another that I use if I don't have just the right light on the polish is a swipe with my finger. If it goes from a smear to a clear swipe through haze (talc) it is broken down.

rwisejr
09-10-2008, 04:45 AM
I have never used the PC 7424 and would like any tips you guys could give me.
Mainly is how do you know the polish is broken down when polishing and how big of an area do I want to concentrate on? Half the hood? 1/4 hood for example. Thanks guys.

Here check this site out and watch the videos he shows you what some polishes look like when broken down and other very informative tips for PC useage Paintcare & Detailing - Enthusiasts guide to detailing (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/)

ScottB
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
:iagree: and another trick is to look through the polish. Hard to discribe. It should go from looking like a paste to a talc that you can see corrected paint through. Another that I use if I don't have just the right light on the polish is a swipe with my finger. If it goes from a smear to a clear swipe through haze (talc) it is broken down.

:iagree:

when the paste starts to powder or looks as if the wetness is gone the polish has flashed and broken down and ready for buffing.

TSIFREAK
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys for all the helpfull advise!!.

Surfer
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I'll add that Optimum is the exception as you can work that stuff like a beotch and not flash lol.

TOGWT
09-11-2008, 04:17 AM
See article - Diminishing Abrasives - ############# (http://#############.com/index.php5?title=Diminishing_Abrasives)

Meghan
09-11-2008, 07:47 AM
I will agree with Surfer (Surfer write this down, since it doesn't happen often :D) depending on the polish, you will see something different when they brake down. Some polishes don't really dust, just depends on what you are using. If you are looking for a specific polish and what it looks like when broken down, we can be very specific for that.

TSIFREAK
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
The polish I will be using is poorboys SSR2 & SSR1

ScottB
09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
The polish I will be using is poorboys SS1

it will turn to a powder/talc .. the SSR twins.

bgray
09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
what about xmt products?

rwisejr
09-11-2008, 06:05 PM
what about xmt products?

Here ya go Autogeek.net XMT video (http://www.auto-geek.net/video/light/light_swirl_removal.html)

Autogeek.net Intermediate Swirl Removal (http://www.auto-geek.net/video/Intermediate_swirl_removal.html) These 2 videos show exactly how to use the Xmt polishes you will see what they look like whe properly broken dowm

dannythekid
09-12-2008, 12:12 PM
The polish I will be using is poorboys SS1

I use this is as well, and before I knew when to stop, I would just pull the buffer off and wipe a little bit of the polish off to see what the paint looked like. Then I kept going and it started to look like baby powder coming off the buffer.

It's ok to stop early and need to keep buffing, but you don't wanna dry buff.