PDA

View Full Version : Wax and Car Covers...

D
08-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Is it true that you shouldnt wax a car then cover it for a long period of time because the paint wont be able to breath and could cause hazing?

supercharged
08-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Carnauba wax allows palm tree to receive oxygen, therefore is is breathable.

ScottB
08-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Carnauba wax allows palm tree to receive oxygen, therefore is is breathable.

:iagree:

I think this is one of those mythbusters. Someone from the sealant camp must have thought "hey lets make carnauba non-breathable". I think that after using any car cover, if you see hazing or film, its simply because moisture got between the material and the finish.

D
08-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Alright thanks guys. Im going back to school in a couple weeks so Ive gotta detail the car and get it ready to sit. The max itll go without moving is two months.

abrcrombe
08-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Is this going to be covered in a garage?

D
08-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Is this going to be covered in a garage?

Yes.

Totoland Mach
08-09-2006, 09:29 PM
I've used my Weathershield Cover for over 3 years with great success. The trick is to use a Calif. Duster before you put the cover on. That way, you aren't stretching the cover over a dusty car (which could lead to some scratches).

Here's a pic of the cover:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/MachCoverCropped.jpg

Totoland Mach

FloridaNative
08-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Nice! Let me ask a stupid question. Is it wise to get a car cover for a car that is outside 24/7?? The idea of the car cover to protect it from the sun and birds and stuff seems like a good one, but then I wonder if the fact that it would be outside subjected to wind and rain would cause the car cover to move and rub against the paint causing more harm than good? I've never used one before so I have no experience in this. Is there any way that a cover can damage the paint's finish? I hate asking stupid questions, but I really don't know. :( Thanks guys for your responses.

Gary Sword
12-16-2006, 05:48 PM
I cover a number of my cars up inside the garage for weeks at a time after waxing and I have never seen any hazing or any problems. If you are going to cover your car up make your it is completely dry before you cover it. If I'm going to cover one of my cars up I always wash it first then dry it off and blow all the water out of the cracks with an air compressor. If I then wax the car or not I usually let it sit over night before covering it up just to make sure it is dryed out good. Never cover up a dirty or wet car. I have a pickup truck that I do not drive much and I leave it outside covered up. If it gets real windy (like a hurricane comming) I take the cover off. I have not noticed any paint problems due to the cover blowing around. I think it's better then having the hot Florida sun beat on it all the time or have birds crap on it. It's also nice because you can detail it outside over a number a days without having to wash it each time.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Lambo_Covered.jpg

abrcrombe
12-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Lets see some pics of that car WITHOUT the cover. ;)

Gary Sword
12-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Attached is a picture of a couple of my cars in the garage. I have more pictures of my cars in my user's gallary.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Viper_Lambor_Garage.jpg

sparkie
12-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Lets see some pics of that car WITHOUT the cover. ;)
I'm with you on that! Lets see some pics.

TOGWT
12-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Nice! Let me ask a stupid question. Is it wise to get a car cover for a car that is outside 24/7?? The idea of the car cover to protect it from the sun and birds and stuff seems like a good one, but then I wonder if the fact that it would be outside subjected to wind and rain would cause the car cover to move and rub against the paint causing more harm than good? I've never used one before so I have no experience in this. Is there any way that a cover can damage the paint's finish? I hate asking stupid questions, but I really don't know. :( Thanks guys for your responses.

Two-cover system:
During high winds or prolonged storage the use of this system will avoid paint surface marring from the cover being buffered by high force winds (Hurricanes)

1. Dustop TMFour layer cover with maximum dust protection and its soft inner layer protects paint from marring
2. WeathersheildTM - single layer construction, primarily for intense sun environments and long-term storage provides optimum protection from water, dust, tree sap, while providing long-term UVR protection and maximum weatherproof protection from a multi-layer breathable fabric.

Knowledge - [We know a subject] [We know where to find information on it] the most highly valued; [knowledge that is both held and shared]