PDA

View Full Version : Removing swirls from glass

twistedframe
09-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a car that has a ton of swirls in the front windshield that I need to deal with. I am also planning to get a PC in the next month or so. That being said is it worth trying to get these swirls out with a DIY kit by hand or should I just wait until I get my PC and then do it? the swirls are pretty bad as it seems the previous owner didn't ever do anything to keep the glass or the rest of the car clean. Thanks in advance!

Jimmie
09-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Awhile ago I talked with a glass guy that said that they use the same criteria for glass that we do for paint. If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch then it can't be polished out.
I doubt that you could make a difference by hand. Maybe with the drill adapter backing plate. AG used to have it in the section with the 4" spot buff pads.

tripperfx3
09-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I acutally had a local detailer at the Mitsu dealership tell me to try steel wool or sand paper (not sure how aggressive) with a polish on it. So basically use the steel wool or sand paper like an applicator. I've never done it, but maybe someone on here has tried it

twistedframe
09-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll just wait until I get my PC because I tried using some polish last night and it didn't even make a dent.

ScottB
09-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Dp Glass Restorer works on light marks and really freshen glasses especially when used with a PC. For greater swirls and such I would probably go to a dedicated glass polishing kit.