PDA

View Full Version : these pads SUCK!!!

Girn
09-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Lake Country 4 Inch Foam Pads Low Profile- Made of high quality foam, these pads have hook & loop backing all the way to the edges. The benefit of (http://autogeek.net/lake-counrty-pads-4-inch.html)

these pads are horrible.. first of all I bought them with a 3.5 inch backing plate that was recommended and the plate is too big for the backing on these pads and it goes over the edges of the velcro backing and overtime it eats at your foam pad and ruins it.. but anyways as I was using them with OP on my car it was all going well until the ****ing thing grapped at the paint and took off a nice sized chunk of paint off my back bumper.. boy was I pissed.. and also the pad was ruined.. dont know why this happened but it sorta latched on the paint and took it off.. I threw the rest of the pads out.. never buy these!!

pricha00
09-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Never had that terrible experience but I did notice that those pads can seem to lose their stiffness in the center of the pad if you use them too aggressively. Its too bad because they are a nice size for working in tighter areas. I am not sure if I had the exact same pads because I am pretty sure that my backing plate doesn't extend past the velcro on the pad. Were you using an orbital or a rotary?

Pat.

67Customs
09-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I have had nothing but good luck out of them and I have a lot of them and the same 3.5" backing plate.

I hate you had that luck. I don't think you can blame that particular type of pad for the paint chip being removed from your bumper though.

Girn
09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
there was no rock chips on the paint before that it was totally smooth i dont know how the hell it happened but it took 3 small rock chip sized paint peices off and all u can see is the dark plastic underneath.. but those pads are gone i aint using those again.. they are really hard too for being orange pads.. and they skip a lot..

budman3
09-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Check out this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/porter-cable-7424-buffing-pad-forum/13730-4-pad-compatibility-issues.html

I would say that these pads should be used with extreme caution with a 3.5" pad. The pads themselves don't suck, using too big of a BP and using too much pressure and product will make them suck. That being said, AG is a little misleading in the description and IMO these pads shouldn't be used with a 3.5" BP. The CCS 4" x 1.25" pads have the velcro backing all of the way to the edge which is a better design, and that is probably why the low profile pads have been discontinued and so cheap.

wagonproject
09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I had the same problem. It like ate a line in my pads all around the velcro. Though for what they were they worked nice.

lempilot
09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
They are great with a PC for cleaning the bathtub

scottgt
09-04-2008, 10:49 PM
sounds like you were using wayyyyyy to much pressure...sometimes its not the product..its the user...just sayin

Girn
09-05-2008, 02:54 AM
i use the same pressure on the 4 inch normal white pads and dont have this issue.. i dont think its all me.. it may be too much pressure and also the lack of velcro

dublifecrisis
09-05-2008, 07:02 AM
same problem here. the pads are a good buy at that price but maybe that's why they're on clearance. I don't use mine anymore, and a couple are still brand new. gotta go with the spot buffing or low profile CCS that have the velcro across the entire back.

Matt S.
09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
If the pad caught the paint and ripped off a chunk of your paint, I'm sorry to inform you that this has nothing to do with the pad itself. If you're using a PC and have full control over it, and your pad is properly conditioned with adequate amounts of polish, it should NEVER grab/catch on the paint. Not sure what to tell you other than this sounds like user error may have come into play here (maybe you started on too high of a speed, or did not spread the polish properly so that it caught on a dry spot?) and we've never had an issue with these pads. :confused:

img
09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
They were meant to be used with the handy hand applicator. The 1.25 pads
work great with the PC. They also have a 2 3/4 backing plate. Might want to thin about using a bigger car.