PDA

View Full Version : Polish Dust - what do you do?

Blade
09-04-2008, 02:37 PM
So I tried the Pinnacle ASR on an orange LC pad, and it worked like a charm!! Most of my swirls are gone. There's a few left here and there, but it may be due to my poor technique (PC newb here). I'll try a 2nd pass with the ASR in a few weeks.

My concern is all the dust that was generated from the ASR. Most of it ended up on the glass and trims (which I taped over) and some were on the paint. Although I tried to be careful wiping it off the paint, I'm wondering if I'm introducing new swirls wiping off this dust? If so, how do you get them off the car completely? I thought I had gotten them all off the trims but the next day, it was evident there was much more left. It actually looked like the van needed another wash!!

Jimmie
09-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I've got no way to know with certainty but I swear that I've reintroduced swirls with light wiping of the polish dust. That was a long time ago and now it's a minimum of a rinse afterwards.

Empire01
09-04-2008, 04:08 PM
I heard about somebody mixing 2 products together, I believe he was using Poorboy's SSR's (which make a ton of dust) he said he mixed another swirl remover with it and it dramatically cut down on the dust. I'll look for the post.

mixxer
09-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I ONR the dust off after i do each section so i can do IPA wipe down. Then rewash car when your all done.

ScottB
09-04-2008, 04:38 PM
rewash or leaf blower ... reminds me of Megs DACP.

wagonproject
09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I ONR the dust off after i do each section so i can do IPA wipe down. Then rewash car when your all done.

:whs:

supercharged
09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
after all polishing is done, I'd do a quick wash.

Blade
09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
What's IPA mean? (I checked the Acronym sticky but didn't find it there)

So if I ONR, when should I do it? If I plan to do ASR + AFP + Wax, at what step should I ONR the vehicle, after ASR or after AFP?

mikep288
09-05-2008, 12:59 AM
After getting alot of this dust in the cowl areas and around the wipers and trim, I have been using a large beach towel stuffed in there, just under the edge of the hood and running up the lower edge of the windshield. Once I'm done, I carefully remove the towel and as Killrwheels said, I either leaf blower what remains or break out the compressor and hit it with an air nozzle.

dublifecrisis
09-05-2008, 07:06 AM
I believe Optimum Polish is what could be mixed to reduce dusting. I hate dust.

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Do a quick wash then go to your final polish and then lsp.

blk45
09-06-2008, 07:27 AM
What's IPA mean? (I checked the Acronym sticky but didn't find it there)

Isopropyl Alcohol

D_Nyholm
09-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I use my air compressor to blow the majority of it away. If it is still stubborn i will do a quick washdown.

Pyrocite
09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
I was told that Polish Dust might get attracted to Kielbasa.... Im the MAN

Blade
09-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I've been using ONR since it arrived (thanks AG!) It is so quick I can now do a wash in the middle of the week! So on my next detail, I will keep an ONR mixture on the ready for a quick wipedown of the vehicle immediately after the polishing stage. Thanks to everyone's replies.