PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskin mits falling apart

Pages : [1] 2

gr82bhum
08-05-2006, 12:24 PM
I bought some sheepskin mits...the nice plush ones at autogeek, but after the second or third use they are shedding apart. After use, I rinse them and wring them dry and put them into a bucket with a screen so they don't sit in water. Am I missing something?

ScottB
08-05-2006, 01:17 PM
never wash them in a machine, let them dry inside out when possible, and make sure to wash every ounce of car wash soap out of them. They are probably one of the most delicate products offered, and I usually replace mine (2 at a time) every six months.

wytstang
08-05-2006, 01:41 PM
The problem with sheepskin mitts is they are natural, so there is no telling how long they will last. Some just after a few washes and others over a year. Drying them as quickly as possible seems to help them last longer (doesn't give it time to rot).

supercharged
08-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Same here. There is no telling how long they will last. I mostly use anatural sea sponge, which lasts me a few months, and I like it.

Reddwarf
08-05-2006, 03:38 PM
The sheepskin lasted pretty long for the sheep! Until some guy with shears came along :p

ScottB
08-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Same here. There is no telling how long they will last. I mostly use anatural sea sponge, which lasts me a few months, and I like it.

I gotta admit the thought of a sea sponge scares the hibbi-jibbi's out of me. Sea = salt and sand. I realize they are super soft but I just cannot make myself try one.

supercharged
08-05-2006, 11:18 PM
I gotta admit the thought of a sea sponge scares the hibbi-jibbi's out of me. Sea = salt and sand. I realize they are super soft but I just cannot make myself try one.

Don't try it on the Vette, try it on a Cadillac.

dengood1
08-06-2006, 07:16 AM

ding ding ding ding ding:iagree:

I guess the idea is the dirt is pulled away from the surface of the sponge into the deep pores of the sea sponge. I'll stick to the nice, fluffy, soft sheepskin:)

And use a loofa for a bug remover;)

dengood1
08-06-2006, 07:22 AM
I also remember learning in science class(back before there was dirt:D, actually my 20 yr. reunion is this year) that sea sponges have tiny little microscopic glass particles called spicules throughout them. I can't see that being good for your paint, but hey, maybe there's something I don't know. If you've ever gone scalloping(Floridians?) and got into a bunch of sponges and stirred up the spicules, you know that they get into every crack and crevice of your body and stay for days!!!!! OUCH! Rashes and tiny glass splinters in your shorts:eek:......not a good thing!!

gr82bhum
08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Funny thing. The so called cheaper sheepskin mits seem to last longer. Thanks for the info.

joe.p
08-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Funny thing. The so called cheaper sheepskin mits seem to last longer. Thanks for the info.
I bought some Detailers Choice $7.99 (Thumbless) from walgreens,yep i couldn't be happier. I had some nice Eurows all three tore between the thumb and the Mitt :mad: from turning them inside out to dry..Now I hang dry them outside ,no more flipping'em inside out.
I found a link to the mitts there $7.49
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100768&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku378428&id=prod378427

Neothin
08-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I use the eurows, but i dont turn them inside out. I shake em out and then into the dryer they go. 15 minutes and theyre done.

If it helps at all, I only buy my mitts between say november-->february. I buy like 20 mitts during that time. reasoning- sheep get a heavier coat during that time to cope w/ cold weather. mitts are plusher.

my mitts have lasted me a good year and as you all know, I use mine ALOT.

joe.p
08-06-2006, 10:49 PM
and theyre done.

If it helps at all, I only buy my mitts between say november-->february. I buy like 20 mitts during that time. reasoning- sheep get a heavier coat during that time to cope w/ cold weather. mitts are plusher.

my mitts have lasted me a good year and as you all know, I use mine ALOT.
hey that is some good advice. I didnt know that but it clearly makes a lot of good sense.

BTW, I read your leaving for school Congrtats, becareful to stay out of trouble its very easy to get into.

ScottB
08-07-2006, 04:49 PM
no it doesnt .... how do you know that AG or anyone has turned over their stock for the heavier sheep ?? Think about it .... these are bought in massive bulk. What about processing time, manufacturing time ??

aceshigh73
08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
no it doesnt .... how do you know that AG or anyone has turned over their stock for the heavier sheep ?? Think about it .... these are bought in massive bulk. What about processing time, manufacturing time ??

Killr...

Thats what I was thinking.. even if Neo's theory was true, it would mean springtime (at best) by the time these things were manufactured, shipped, stocked, sold, etc.. etc.. etc...